Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
On July 4, 2017, in the Alkhanli village of Fuzuli region of Azerbaijan, 51-year-old Sahiba Allahverdiyeva and her toddler granddaughter Zahra Guliyeva were killed and 52-year-old Salminaz Guliyeva was seriously injured as a result of firing by armed forces of Armenia.
According to the statement, the trajectory of projectile, lack of legitimate military targets or any military objects in Alkhanli village, clearly demonstrate that the armed forces of Armenia targeted the civilians in a purposeful and intentional manner.
“Deliberate killing of infant and the old woman is humiliation, dishonesty, and cowardice. No steps have been taken to investigate this perpetrated war crime by political-military leadership of Armenia, but rather statements made to justify this act of terror. Armenia’s military aggression against Azerbaijan and occupation of its territories resulted in numerous war crimes as well as, crimes against humanity, including Khojaly genocide. Armenia's actions represent a grave violation of international humanitarian law, in particular the Geneva Conventions.
All this demonstrate that targeting and killing of civilians by armed forces of Armenia are not an accidental or exceptional cases, but systematic state policy incorporated into the training process of the armed forces.
Armenia, which enjoys impunity, does not feel moral, political or legal restrictions to commit such crimes.
During the events of April 2016, Armenian armed forces attempted to commit the same acts by targeting civilians and civilian objects along the line of contact with heavy weapons. However, they faced with the firm and professional counter-measures taken by the armed forces of Azerbaijan.
The presence of the Armenian armed forces in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan continues to pose a serious threat to regional peace and security. To prevent this threat, the armed forces of Armenia must be unconditionally and completely withdrawn from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan in accordance with the requirements of the resolutions of the UN Security Council.
The Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan, having high combat capabilities and moral and ethical values, take all necessary measures to defend the sovereign territories of Azerbaijan and ensure the protection of civilians,” said the statement.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani PM calls for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 01.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 30.06.2018Azercosmos: Armenians committed arsons in 280ha area in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 30.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 04.07.2018Baku reacts to reports of Armenia deploying internal troops in Nagorno-Karabakh