Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
The resources for the negotiations on settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict have not run out, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister said in an interview to the French parliamentary magazine Le Journal du Parlement, APA reports.
He noted that peace settlement can contribute to fully-shaped regional cooperation, as well as sustainable peace and security in the region.
"First of all, the Armenian population will benefit from the opportunities of regional cooperation. This, however, requires an end to the Armenian occupation, withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, return of internally displaced Azerbaijanis, as set out in the UN Security Council resolutions. It is not serious of Armenia to stick with its policy of occupation on the one hand and to talk about peace on the other hand. Finally, the Armenian leadership need to comprehend that attempts to change internationally recognized borders by use of force are unacceptable and inadmissible," Mammadyarov said.
The minister said that unfortunately the process carried out by the OSCE Minsk Group had not yielded results.
“The document on the mandate of the Minsk Group co-chairs reflects that they should be guided by the relevant UN Security Council resolutions, the Helsinki Final Act, and the norms and principles of international law. The Minsk Group has developed and approved a plan of urgent measures in connection with the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories as a special Annex of the UN Security Council Resolution 854 under the Resolution 822 of the UN Security Council. However, it has not yet been fulfilled,” said Mammadyarov.
“It should be noted that the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries are permanent members of the UN Security Council and, under the UN Charter, they are responsible for ensuring international peace and security,” he added.
The top diplomat reiterated Azerbaijan’s support for efforts of the Minsk Group co-chairs towards the conflict resolution, underscoring the need for more resolute and effective steps to be taken.
“A roadmap for a step-by-step solution to the conflict has been drawn up thanks to joint efforts. Therefore, the Minsk Group co-chairs should adhere to their position and prevent Armenia from disrupting the negotiation process. Through political and diplomatic pressure, the co-chairs must ensure the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan. In this case, progress will be possible during the negotiations,” he said.
Mammadyarov stressed that currently there is a certain intensity, concrete and logical flow in the negotiation process.
“Azerbaijan together with the Minsk Group co-chairs will continue efforts in this direction. As a party subjected to occupation, Azerbaijan is most interested in the soonest settlement of the conflict,” the foreign minister added.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated