Azerbaijani FM and General Prosecutor’s Office: Armenia bears responsibility for Khojaly genocide
The statement reads as follows:
“The Republic of Armenia bears responsibility for providing open support to aggressive separatism and terrorism since the end of 1980s, occupying 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territories, committing ethnic cleansing against more than one million Azerbaijanis in both Armenia and the occupied territories and committing numerous military crimes, crimes against humanity and acts of genocide.
During the war, occupation of the town of Khojaly was especially tragic. Before the war, 7,000 people lived in this town. In October 1991, the town was completely surrounded by the Armenian armed forces. On February 25-26, 1992, following the mass artillery strikes, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, occupied the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. The occupiers destroyed the town and committed an act of genocide against the population of the town.
General assessment of reasons and results of Armenian war against Azerbaijan and all existing facts of tragic events in Khojaly prove that the crimes committed in this town of Azerbaijan were not ordinary and accidental, on the contrary, they were part of Armenia’s systematic and widespread aggressive policy which mainly contains racial priority, ethnic discrimination and hate. Purposeful killing of civilians in Khojaly was directed to their mass destruction just because they were Azerbaijanis.
On the background of aggression against Azerbaijan, the war, crimes against humanity and Khojaly genocide committed by Armenia are violation of human rights and international humanitarian law, especially Geneva Conventions of 1949, Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, Convention on the Rights of the Child and Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
It’s known that Armenia’s current and previous leadership, together with other high ranking political and military officials and leaders of separatist regime created in the occupied territory of Azerbaijan, have personally participated in occupation of Azerbaijan’s lands and aggression against Azerbaijani civilians and military servicemen, including Khojaly. Insolently acknowledging his guilty, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan, who was Defense Minister at that time, said in his interview to the British journalist Thomas de Waal: “Before Khojali, the Azerbaijanis thought that ... the Armenians were people who could not raise their hand against the civilian population. We were able to break that stereotype” (page 172 of the book “Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan through Peace and War” by Thomas de Waal).
It’s undeniable fact that no any official or political status can give immunity to anyone who was named in international crimes, including military crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and ethnic cleansing. The Republic of Azerbaijan is sure that continuous measures at the national level, as well as within the international law, will serve putting an end to impunity and bringing the people, who bear responsibility for grave crimes on the background of Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan, to the justice”.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 24.02.2018Exhibition of "The voice of Karabakh" paintings and literary-artistic event held
- 25.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 114 times
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 23.02.2018U.S. has always been committed to Karabakh conflict settlement process – envoy