Azerbaijani FM and General Prosecutor’s Office: Armenia bears responsibility for Khojaly genocide
The statement reads as follows:
“The Republic of Armenia bears responsibility for providing open support to aggressive separatism and terrorism since the end of 1980s, occupying 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territories, committing ethnic cleansing against more than one million Azerbaijanis in both Armenia and the occupied territories and committing numerous military crimes, crimes against humanity and acts of genocide.
During the war, occupation of the town of Khojaly was especially tragic. Before the war, 7,000 people lived in this town. In October 1991, the town was completely surrounded by the Armenian armed forces. On February 25-26, 1992, following the mass artillery strikes, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, occupied the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. The occupiers destroyed the town and committed an act of genocide against the population of the town.
General assessment of reasons and results of Armenian war against Azerbaijan and all existing facts of tragic events in Khojaly prove that the crimes committed in this town of Azerbaijan were not ordinary and accidental, on the contrary, they were part of Armenia’s systematic and widespread aggressive policy which mainly contains racial priority, ethnic discrimination and hate. Purposeful killing of civilians in Khojaly was directed to their mass destruction just because they were Azerbaijanis.
On the background of aggression against Azerbaijan, the war, crimes against humanity and Khojaly genocide committed by Armenia are violation of human rights and international humanitarian law, especially Geneva Conventions of 1949, Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, Convention on the Rights of the Child and Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
It’s known that Armenia’s current and previous leadership, together with other high ranking political and military officials and leaders of separatist regime created in the occupied territory of Azerbaijan, have personally participated in occupation of Azerbaijan’s lands and aggression against Azerbaijani civilians and military servicemen, including Khojaly. Insolently acknowledging his guilty, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan, who was Defense Minister at that time, said in his interview to the British journalist Thomas de Waal: “Before Khojali, the Azerbaijanis thought that ... the Armenians were people who could not raise their hand against the civilian population. We were able to break that stereotype” (page 172 of the book “Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan through Peace and War” by Thomas de Waal).
It’s undeniable fact that no any official or political status can give immunity to anyone who was named in international crimes, including military crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and ethnic cleansing. The Republic of Azerbaijan is sure that continuous measures at the national level, as well as within the international law, will serve putting an end to impunity and bringing the people, who bear responsibility for grave crimes on the background of Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan, to the justice”.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia abuses water as means of ‘ecological terror’
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Int’l community witnessed Armenia’s invasion policy once again
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 24.02.2018Exhibition of "The voice of Karabakh" paintings and literary-artistic event held
- 25.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 114 times
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 23.02.2018U.S. has always been committed to Karabakh conflict settlement process – envoy