Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
Yalchin Rafiyev, I Secretary of the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the UN Office and other International Organizations in Geneva, has used the right of reply in response to the statement by Edward Nalbandian, Foreign Minister of Armenia delivered at the High-Level Segment, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Addressing the thirty-seventh session of the UN Human Rights Council, Rafiyev said the Armenian foreign minister devoted his bulk of speech to Azerbaijan.
“Proceeding from this one can assume that minister did not have anything worthwhile to share with the Council in the field of promotion and protection of human rights in Armenia. Instead, he has dedicated his statement on denying the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence on the ground, rejected the responsibility of crimes against humanity committed in Khojaly district of Azerbaijan and attacked my country with ungrounded accusations about tragic events happened prior to the independence of the Republic of Azerbaijan,” he said.
The documentary evidence — and there is a mountain of it — proves that Armenia unleashed the war; attacked Azerbaijan and occupied its territories, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven adjacent districts; carried out ethnic cleansing on a massive scale; and established the ethnically constructed subordinate separatist entity on the captured Azerbaijani territory, the diplomat noted.
He pointed out that the most serious international crimes have been committed in the course of the war.
“Yesterday the Armenian minister referred to Khojaly, a small town located in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan which is under the occupation of Armenia since more than quarter of a century. Let me inform you what happened in Khojaly in 1992. On the night of 26 February the civilian population of the town faced the most brutal atrocities and war crimes of history committed by Armenia as a result of which 613 people were killed, including women, children and elderly,” Rafiyev said.
The Azerbaijani diplomat went on to say: “The incumbent president of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan was the person leading all these crimes against humanity. In his interview to famous journalist Thomas de Waal in 2003, president Sargsyan described the Khojaly genocide as follows: “Before Khojaly, the Azerbaijanis thought that Armenians were people who could not raise their hands against the civilian population. We were able to break that stereotype”.
“With these sentences [Sargsyan] perfectly described the state of naïve trust and hope of the Azerbaijani party to the conflict which inadvertently fell victim to misguidance,” he added.
Rafiyev said the Armenian foreign minister also raised the issue of access by UN institutions to assess the human rights situation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
“I would like to remind the Armenian minister that the people whose rights have been gravely violated are not living in Nagorno-Karabakh due to ethnic cleansing policy of Armenia. They all are residing in other cities of Azerbaijan as IDPs. If any UN institution would like to assess their situation they can visit IDP camps in Azerbaijan,” the diplomat said.
As for the tragic events happened prior to the independence of Azerbaijan, the Azerbaijani diplomat informed that the results of the prosecution and investigation conducted by Central Soviet authorities revealed that the main perpetrators of those events were ethnic Armenians, Eduard Grigoryan and Zhirayr Azizbekian and their fellow compatriots who were orchestrated by Soviet intelligence services.
“This had been acknowledged by the incumbent President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan in his speech in March 30, 2005, during Parliamentary hearings in Armenia: “There are grounds for a judgment that the mass pogroms and killings of peaceful Armenian population in Sumgait ... were exercised with the knowledge of Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, in Moscow,” he added.
Rafiyev stressed that the international community continues to observe the gross violations of the rights of more than 1 million Azerbaijani IDPs and refugees with silence.
“That is why we will conclude our remarks with appeal to the world community by referring to a famous quote: “Once you see it, you cannot unsee it, and once you have seen it, staying quiet, saying nothing is as much political an act as speaking out”. We call on all states to speak out on the restoration of the violated human rights of Azerbaijani IDPs and refugees,” the Azerbaijani diplomat concluded.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM