Azerbaijani civil society representatives condemn Eldar Namazov’s signing statement with David Shahnazaryan
Baku. Rufat Ahmadzada – APA. “I have never supported such initiatives. Dialogue between civil societies and public diplomacy initiatives are favorable for Armenia in the current situation”, Sahib Mammadov, Chairman of the Citizens' Labor Rights Protection League told APA while commenting on a joint statement signed by chairman of the Public Forum For Azerbaijan, Eldar Namazov, and head of Armenia’s Center for Political and Legal Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, in Helsinki, Finland.
“If the peace process doesn’t yield any results at the presidential level, then there is no meaning in our dialogues. Of course, we can not remain enemies forever. But 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories are under occupation. If Armenia takes a step toward, a peace agreement with Azerbaijan, starting with the liberation of the adjacent regions to Nagorno-Karabakh, representatives of civil societies can work for good neighborhood in peaceful conditions,” he said.
Mammadov is also surprised at the call “not to sell arms to both sides” that was envisaged in the statement: “I do not understand them. Increasing the power of self-defense is the right of Azerbaijan, whose territories are under occupation. Why should our country fall weak in comparison with Armenia? On the other hand, we need to be careful while using the expression “right of peoples to self-determination”.
Armenians already have a state and it is illogical to establish a second, third or fourth Armenian state everywhere Armenians densely populated in. I think that the territorial integrity should come before anything else. This important point shouldn’t be forgotten in the resolution of this conflict as well. If Armenia takes a step towards peace accepting Azerbaijan’s proposal to grant the highest status, the conflict can be resolved completely within a few years", he added.
Chairman of Karabakh Liberation Organization Akif Naghi told APA that he felt sorry about the names in the list that joined this statement from the Azerbaijani side. “They take this wrong step either because of naivety or intentionally. Non-use of force, self-determination and give up defending… Can’t these persons understand that the Azerbaijani territories are under occupation? Such statements are useful not for us, but for Armenians”, he said.
Naghi stressed that the issue of liberating the seven regions is pending. “No step is taken toward the peace agreement. What else shall we do to satisfy the co-chairs and the invaders? It is ridiculous that a handful of Armenians in Karabakh demand independence. As if we speak about the people under colonial rule. Everyone should understand that we cannot wait for them returning our lands willingly. The Azerbaijani people do not need such defeatist dialogue", Akif Naghi added.
Note that, President of the Public Forum for Azerbaijan Eldar Namazov and Director of Armenia’s Center for Legal and Political Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, have signed a joint statement in Helsinki, Finland.
In the statement, the sides also mentioned a document they had signed as part of the Independent Civil Minsk Process (ICMP) on the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict on 8 December 2010 and noted they call on the sides to put an end to military rhetoric and politically informative campaigns aimed at fueling the conflict and begin working on a “road map” to resolve the conflict.
The sides signing the document said they regret these calls were overlooked over the past period.
The statement addresses the leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and those countries, calls to stop selling offensive weapons to the region, and calls on the sides’ civil society representatives to be active in the process of peace.
On the Azerbaijani side, Zardusht Alizadeh, Arzu Abdullayeva, Ali Abbasov and Leyla Aliyeva joined the statement, and Agasi Enokyan, Aykak Arshamyan, Karen Ohajanyan and Natalia Martirosyan on the Armenian side.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2018Film on Khojaly genocide screened on California’s TV channels
- 26.02.2018Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemns Khojaly massacre
- 05.11.2014Azerbaijan ready to work on peace agreement - Elmar Mammadyarov
- 05.11.2014We ready to assist acceleration of Karabakh settlement, UK minister says
- 06.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Start of military exercises in occupied lands next stage of Yerevan regime’s aggressive policy
- 03.11.2014Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry comments on issue of peoples’ right to self-determination
- 03.11.2014International community still in unjust position on Azerbaijanis taken hostage in Kalbajar - Ali Huseynli
- 02.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Minister: “This is possible only when Armenia puts an end to its aggressive policy”