Azerbaijani civil society representatives condemn Eldar Namazov’s signing statement with David Shahnazaryan
Baku. Rufat Ahmadzada – APA. “I have never supported such initiatives. Dialogue between civil societies and public diplomacy initiatives are favorable for Armenia in the current situation”, Sahib Mammadov, Chairman of the Citizens' Labor Rights Protection League told APA while commenting on a joint statement signed by chairman of the Public Forum For Azerbaijan, Eldar Namazov, and head of Armenia’s Center for Political and Legal Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, in Helsinki, Finland.
“If the peace process doesn’t yield any results at the presidential level, then there is no meaning in our dialogues. Of course, we can not remain enemies forever. But 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories are under occupation. If Armenia takes a step toward, a peace agreement with Azerbaijan, starting with the liberation of the adjacent regions to Nagorno-Karabakh, representatives of civil societies can work for good neighborhood in peaceful conditions,” he said.
Mammadov is also surprised at the call “not to sell arms to both sides” that was envisaged in the statement: “I do not understand them. Increasing the power of self-defense is the right of Azerbaijan, whose territories are under occupation. Why should our country fall weak in comparison with Armenia? On the other hand, we need to be careful while using the expression “right of peoples to self-determination”.
Armenians already have a state and it is illogical to establish a second, third or fourth Armenian state everywhere Armenians densely populated in. I think that the territorial integrity should come before anything else. This important point shouldn’t be forgotten in the resolution of this conflict as well. If Armenia takes a step towards peace accepting Azerbaijan’s proposal to grant the highest status, the conflict can be resolved completely within a few years", he added.
Chairman of Karabakh Liberation Organization Akif Naghi told APA that he felt sorry about the names in the list that joined this statement from the Azerbaijani side. “They take this wrong step either because of naivety or intentionally. Non-use of force, self-determination and give up defending… Can’t these persons understand that the Azerbaijani territories are under occupation? Such statements are useful not for us, but for Armenians”, he said.
Naghi stressed that the issue of liberating the seven regions is pending. “No step is taken toward the peace agreement. What else shall we do to satisfy the co-chairs and the invaders? It is ridiculous that a handful of Armenians in Karabakh demand independence. As if we speak about the people under colonial rule. Everyone should understand that we cannot wait for them returning our lands willingly. The Azerbaijani people do not need such defeatist dialogue", Akif Naghi added.
Note that, President of the Public Forum for Azerbaijan Eldar Namazov and Director of Armenia’s Center for Legal and Political Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, have signed a joint statement in Helsinki, Finland.
In the statement, the sides also mentioned a document they had signed as part of the Independent Civil Minsk Process (ICMP) on the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict on 8 December 2010 and noted they call on the sides to put an end to military rhetoric and politically informative campaigns aimed at fueling the conflict and begin working on a “road map” to resolve the conflict.
The sides signing the document said they regret these calls were overlooked over the past period.
The statement addresses the leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and those countries, calls to stop selling offensive weapons to the region, and calls on the sides’ civil society representatives to be active in the process of peace.
On the Azerbaijani side, Zardusht Alizadeh, Arzu Abdullayeva, Ali Abbasov and Leyla Aliyeva joined the statement, and Agasi Enokyan, Aykak Arshamyan, Karen Ohajanyan and Natalia Martirosyan on the Armenian side.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 05.11.2014Azerbaijan ready to work on peace agreement - Elmar Mammadyarov
- 05.11.2014We ready to assist acceleration of Karabakh settlement, UK minister says
- 06.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Start of military exercises in occupied lands next stage of Yerevan regime’s aggressive policy
- 03.11.2014Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry comments on issue of peoples’ right to self-determination
- 03.11.2014International community still in unjust position on Azerbaijanis taken hostage in Kalbajar - Ali Huseynli
- 02.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Minister: “This is possible only when Armenia puts an end to its aggressive policy”