Azerbaijani civil society representatives condemn Eldar Namazov’s signing statement with David Shahnazaryan
Baku. Rufat Ahmadzada – APA. “I have never supported such initiatives. Dialogue between civil societies and public diplomacy initiatives are favorable for Armenia in the current situation”, Sahib Mammadov, Chairman of the Citizens' Labor Rights Protection League told APA while commenting on a joint statement signed by chairman of the Public Forum For Azerbaijan, Eldar Namazov, and head of Armenia’s Center for Political and Legal Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, in Helsinki, Finland.
“If the peace process doesn’t yield any results at the presidential level, then there is no meaning in our dialogues. Of course, we can not remain enemies forever. But 20 percent of Azerbaijani territories are under occupation. If Armenia takes a step toward, a peace agreement with Azerbaijan, starting with the liberation of the adjacent regions to Nagorno-Karabakh, representatives of civil societies can work for good neighborhood in peaceful conditions,” he said.
Mammadov is also surprised at the call “not to sell arms to both sides” that was envisaged in the statement: “I do not understand them. Increasing the power of self-defense is the right of Azerbaijan, whose territories are under occupation. Why should our country fall weak in comparison with Armenia? On the other hand, we need to be careful while using the expression “right of peoples to self-determination”.
Armenians already have a state and it is illogical to establish a second, third or fourth Armenian state everywhere Armenians densely populated in. I think that the territorial integrity should come before anything else. This important point shouldn’t be forgotten in the resolution of this conflict as well. If Armenia takes a step towards peace accepting Azerbaijan’s proposal to grant the highest status, the conflict can be resolved completely within a few years", he added.
Chairman of Karabakh Liberation Organization Akif Naghi told APA that he felt sorry about the names in the list that joined this statement from the Azerbaijani side. “They take this wrong step either because of naivety or intentionally. Non-use of force, self-determination and give up defending… Can’t these persons understand that the Azerbaijani territories are under occupation? Such statements are useful not for us, but for Armenians”, he said.
Naghi stressed that the issue of liberating the seven regions is pending. “No step is taken toward the peace agreement. What else shall we do to satisfy the co-chairs and the invaders? It is ridiculous that a handful of Armenians in Karabakh demand independence. As if we speak about the people under colonial rule. Everyone should understand that we cannot wait for them returning our lands willingly. The Azerbaijani people do not need such defeatist dialogue", Akif Naghi added.
Note that, President of the Public Forum for Azerbaijan Eldar Namazov and Director of Armenia’s Center for Legal and Political Studies “Concord”, David Shahnazaryan, have signed a joint statement in Helsinki, Finland.
In the statement, the sides also mentioned a document they had signed as part of the Independent Civil Minsk Process (ICMP) on the settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict on 8 December 2010 and noted they call on the sides to put an end to military rhetoric and politically informative campaigns aimed at fueling the conflict and begin working on a “road map” to resolve the conflict.
The sides signing the document said they regret these calls were overlooked over the past period.
The statement addresses the leaders of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and those countries, calls to stop selling offensive weapons to the region, and calls on the sides’ civil society representatives to be active in the process of peace.
On the Azerbaijani side, Zardusht Alizadeh, Arzu Abdullayeva, Ali Abbasov and Leyla Aliyeva joined the statement, and Agasi Enokyan, Aykak Arshamyan, Karen Ohajanyan and Natalia Martirosyan on the Armenian side.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 02.10.2017“Catalonia referendum was one of events that were huge support to Azerbaijan in respect of Karabakh problem”
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojavand occupation by Armenia
- 02.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region this week
- 01.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 30.09.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.11.2014Azerbaijan ready to work on peace agreement - Elmar Mammadyarov
- 05.11.2014We ready to assist acceleration of Karabakh settlement, UK minister says
- 06.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Start of military exercises in occupied lands next stage of Yerevan regime’s aggressive policy
- 03.11.2014Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry comments on issue of peoples’ right to self-determination
- 03.11.2014International community still in unjust position on Azerbaijanis taken hostage in Kalbajar - Ali Huseynli
- 02.11.2014Azerbaijani Defense Minister: “This is possible only when Armenia puts an end to its aggressive policy”