Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh
The main cause of incidents at the line of contact is the illegal presence of Armenian troops in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the main priority of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy, Mammadyarov said addressing the Russian Foreign Ministry’s Diplomatic Academy on Tuesday, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
He stressed that the failure to resolve the conflict is a major obstacle to the regional development.
“Azerbaijan and Armenia have been suffering from this problem for about 30 years. Yesterday, I thoroughly discussed with my Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov the ways to resolve the conflict. The Azerbaijani and Russian presidents also discuss this issue on a regular basis,” said Mammadyarov.
The Azerbaijani FM urged Armenia to show political will for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“Those who are engaged in the settlement of this conflict are well aware what the main problem is. First of all, for the resolution of the conflict, Armenia must withdraw its troops from the occupied territories and ensure the region’s security. Then the Azerbaijani IDPs must return to their native lands, the region’s communications and railway line should be reconstructed,” said Mammadyarov, noting that all this will contribute to the economic development of the region.
The status of Nagorno-Karabakh should be considered at the final stage, according to the Azerbaijani minister.
Touching upon the mounting escalation on the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, Mammadyarov said that Baku does not oppose to the idea of conducting an investigation of incidents at the line of contact.
“They offer to conduct an investigation of incidents at the contact line. We agree with this proposal. However, it should be part of a big plan. It should be done after the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. The main cause of incidents at the line of contact is the illegal presence of Armenian troops in the occupied Azerbaijani territories,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Elmar Mammadyarov commented on Foreign Ministers' Moscow meeting on Nagorno-Karabakh - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.04.2017Baku: Results of Moscow talks will be reported to presidents
- 28.04.2017Baku-born Armenian Erik Khachaturov visits office of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 28.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs discuss Karabakh conflict - STATEMENT
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign musicians for illegally visiting Karabakh
- 27.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet behind closed doors
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan: 179 unknown martyrs’ graves found in recent years
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s plan to hold int’l conference in Nagorno-Karabakh is another provocation
- 27.04.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to join meeting of Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 27.04.2017Chair of Moldovan section of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador: Karabakh conflict - region’s biggest problem
- 27.04.2017Florans Manjen: "Settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a priority for France"
- 26.04.2017Russia delivers a new batch of modern weapons and military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017FM Mammadyarov to join tripartite meeting in Moscow – Foreign Ministry
- 26.04.2017Co-chairs meet with full Minsk Group in Vienna
- 26.04.2017Moscow: Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs to meet on April 28
- 25.04.2017Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 25.04.2017French presidential candidate vows to make ‘every effort’ to resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow sees OSCE’s desire to help resolve Karabakh conflict
- 25.04.2017The Independent’s article distorts situation in region: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani army eliminates Armenian soldier who violated ceasefire
- 25.04.2017Hollande: No military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 19.04.2017Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
- 07.03.2017Petition initiated for recognition of Khojaly Genocide by Russian State Duma
- 06.03.2017UK supports talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.03.2017Moscow stresses need to reduce mistrust between Armenia, Azerbaijan