Azerbaijan says main cause of incidents is Armenian troops’ presence in Karabakh
The main cause of incidents at the line of contact is the illegal presence of Armenian troops in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the main priority of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy, Mammadyarov said addressing the Russian Foreign Ministry’s Diplomatic Academy on Tuesday, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
He stressed that the failure to resolve the conflict is a major obstacle to the regional development.
“Azerbaijan and Armenia have been suffering from this problem for about 30 years. Yesterday, I thoroughly discussed with my Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov the ways to resolve the conflict. The Azerbaijani and Russian presidents also discuss this issue on a regular basis,” said Mammadyarov.
The Azerbaijani FM urged Armenia to show political will for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“Those who are engaged in the settlement of this conflict are well aware what the main problem is. First of all, for the resolution of the conflict, Armenia must withdraw its troops from the occupied territories and ensure the region’s security. Then the Azerbaijani IDPs must return to their native lands, the region’s communications and railway line should be reconstructed,” said Mammadyarov, noting that all this will contribute to the economic development of the region.
The status of Nagorno-Karabakh should be considered at the final stage, according to the Azerbaijani minister.
Touching upon the mounting escalation on the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, Mammadyarov said that Baku does not oppose to the idea of conducting an investigation of incidents at the line of contact.
“They offer to conduct an investigation of incidents at the contact line. We agree with this proposal. However, it should be part of a big plan. It should be done after the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories. The main cause of incidents at the line of contact is the illegal presence of Armenian troops in the occupied Azerbaijani territories,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 23.02.2018U.S. has always been committed to Karabakh conflict settlement process – envoy
- 23.02.2018Khojaly – one of most terrible events of 20th century, says U.S. envoy
- 23.02.2018European Parliament preparing statement on Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018US congressman makes a statement in connection with the anniversary of the 20 January and Khojaly tragedy
- 22.02.2018Vigenin proposes abolishing position of OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus
- 22.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Vigenin: Int’l community has switched its ambition on Nagorno-Karabakh to simply avoiding war, which must be reversed
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special representative criticizes Minsk Group co-chairs
- 22.02.2018Baku reacts to Armenian foreign minister’s statement
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says int’l tribunal needed to prosecute perpetrators of crimes in Khojaly and Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says Sumgayit events were ‘deliberate provocation’
- 21.02.2018U.S. continuing its role as OSCE MG co-chair shows its commitment to resolving Karabakh conflict, envoy says
- 21.02.2018OSCE can increase frequency of monitoring exercises in front line areas
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan puts EAFJD head on Interpol wanted list for illegally visiting its occupied lands
- 21.02.2018U.S. doing its utmost to help settle Karabakh conflict – envoy
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement suspended
- 07.03.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Azerbaijan on March 11 - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.03.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenia should demonstrate political will, withdraw its troops from Azerbaijani lands - INTERVIEW
- 07.03.2017Petition initiated for recognition of Khojaly Genocide by Russian State Duma
- 06.03.2017UK supports talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.03.2017Moscow stresses need to reduce mistrust between Armenia, Azerbaijan