Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
A forensic examination has been carried out to determine the amount of material damage inflicted to the state and citizens of Azerbaijan as a result of Armenia’s occupation, said Emil Taghiyev, chief of Special Investigation Department of the Azerbaijani Military Prosecutor’s Office.
According to preliminary estimates, the material damage caused to the Azerbaijani state and citizens as a result of Armenia’s occupation amounts to $818.88 billion, Taghiyev said at a scientific and practical conference dedicated to the centenary of March 31 – the Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis, APA reports.
To date, 39 people over the Khojaly genocide, 12 over the Garadaghli genocide, 12 over the Baghanis-Ayrim genocide, 9 over the Meshali genocide, 47 over the Karkijahan genocide, 35 over torture facts, 3 over terror facts and 133 over banditry, homicide and other crimes and a total of 296 people have been found guilty under articles 103 (genocide), 107 (deportation), 113 (torture), 115 (infringement of laws and customs of war) and 116 (infringement of norms of the international humanitarian right during confrontations) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, the official of the Military Prosecutor’s Office noted.
"A preventive measure in the form arrest was chosen for the defendants. The relevant documents on search for these persons have been submitted to the National Central Bureau of Interpol in Azerbaijan and to the Ministry of Internal Affairs,” he added.
The department head said that over 75,000 investigative actions were carried out during the investigation.
“About 25,000 people were interrogated as the victim or as the victim’s legal heir and 6,000 people as eyewitnesses. As many as 18,236 people were recognized as civil plaintiffs. More than 1,000 different types of examinations were conducted. At present, the necessary measures are being taken to identify and bring to justice other persons who organized and committed these crimes," he added.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2018Film on Khojaly genocide screened on California’s TV channels
- 26.02.2018Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemns Khojaly massacre
- 26.02.2018Khojaly commemorative event held in Chicago
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide
- 25.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 114 times
- 24.02.2018Exhibition of "The voice of Karabakh" paintings and literary-artistic event held
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani FM and General Prosecutor’s Office: Armenia bears responsibility for Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan