Azerbaijan: No country or int’l organization sent observation mission for “referendum” in Karabakh
No country or international organization has sent a mission to observe the illegal “referendum” in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region, occupied by Armenia, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA on Feb. 20.
The so-called "referendum" is being held Feb. 20 in the Azerbaijani territories, occupied by Armenia, to amend the illegal regime’s “constitution.”
Armenia, in contravention of Azerbaijan’s laws and the principles of international law, as well as the positions of the international community and the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries, is holding the so-called “referendum” in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan for the purpose of political provocation, said Hajiyev.
He noted that this “referendum”, which the international community considers illegal and the results of which can not be recognized, is nothing more than an attempt to deceive itself and the international community and harm the negotiation process.
According to him, Armenia’s statements concerning the presence of some observers at the illegal "referendum" are thoughtless.
No country or international organization sent a mission to observe this illegal “referendum”, he stressed.
He said Armenia organized a private trip for a group of persons to the occupied Azerbaijani territories in order to justify its unsuccessful and illegal activities.
“This initiative can be called an illegal tourist trip,” said Hajiyev, adding. “The preliminary investigation has revealed that most of these persons are already included in the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry’s list of people declared persona non grata, they are representatives of the Armenian lobby or are influenced by Armenia. It’s not excluded that Armenia, by using the same method and by way of deception, has arranged their trip to the occupied territories.”
“The names of several other persons will be clarified and included in the list. It is possible that Armenia fraudulently lured them to the occupied territories,” he said.
Instead of such provocative and unnecessary activities, Armenia must put an end to its aggressive policy and make efforts to resolve the conflict and restore lasting peace in the region, Hajiyev added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 114 times
- 24.02.2018Exhibition of "The voice of Karabakh" paintings and literary-artistic event held
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani FM and General Prosecutor’s Office: Armenia bears responsibility for Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani MP: Application of law on humanization of punishments can be assessed as an amnesty
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Russian citizen from ‘blacklist’
- 23.02.2018U.S. has always been committed to Karabakh conflict settlement process – envoy
- 23.02.2018What happened in Khojaly is terrible, U.S envoy says
- 23.02.2018European Parliament preparing statement on Khojaly genocide
- 23.02.2018US congressman makes a statement in connection with the anniversary of the 20 January and Khojaly tragedy
- 22.02.2018Vigenin proposes abolishing position of OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus
- 22.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Vigenin: Int’l community has switched its ambition on Nagorno-Karabakh to simply avoiding war, which must be reversed
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special representative criticizes Minsk Group co-chairs
- 22.02.2018Baku reacts to Armenian foreign minister’s statement
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says int’l tribunal needed to prosecute perpetrators of crimes in Khojaly and Karabakh
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan says Sumgayit events were ‘deliberate provocation’
- 21.02.2018U.S. continuing its role as OSCE MG co-chair shows its commitment to resolving Karabakh conflict, envoy says
- 21.02.2018OSCE can increase frequency of monitoring exercises in front line areas
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan puts EAFJD head on Interpol wanted list for illegally visiting its occupied lands
- 21.02.2018U.S. doing its utmost to help settle Karabakh conflict – envoy
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 15.09.2015Pakistan’s Senate Standing Committee on Defense condemns elections in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 15.09.2015Azerbaijani president: Armenia continues its aggressive policy, ignoring international calls
- 16.09.2015Ambassador: Malaysia to continue supporting Azerbaijan's position on Karabakh conflict
- 15.09.2015French senator: Before talking about human rights, it’s necessary to liberate Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 14.09.2015German expert: EU should abandon double standards in relation to Karabakh
- 12.09.2015James Warlick: We hope to organize meeting of presidents by end of this year