Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases over Armenian military provocations
A statement issued by the Prosecutor General’s Office says that on April 27 and 28 Armenian armed forces carried out provocations by shelling Azerbaijan’s Aghdam and Terter districts with heavy artillery pieces from occupied Azerbaijani territories in order to deliberately cause fatalities among civilians and destroy their property.
As a result of the shelling, a citizen of Aghdam district’s Chemenli village Famil Mustafayev died.
Moreover, six residents of the district’s Garadaghli and Efetli villages were injured.
One of the injured is in critical condition.
According to the statement, dozens of houses, schools and other social facilities were destroyed in those villages, as well as in Terter district’s Gapanli, Hasangaya, Gazyan and Gaynag villages.
Aghdam and Terter district prosecutor’s offices launched criminal cases over these facts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 02.10.2017“Catalonia referendum was one of events that were huge support to Azerbaijan in respect of Karabakh problem”
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojavand occupation by Armenia
- 02.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region this week
- 01.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 30.09.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.09.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: "The visit of Turkish citizens to Nagorno-Karabakh was not coordinated with state bodies"
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia and its lobby in US engaged in unnecessary activity
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijani MP urges Turkey to take drastic measures against its citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 28.09.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal case against Turkish citizens over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani FM expected to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in mid-May
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s conditions for resumption of talks undermine peace process
- 29.04.2016Moscow offers phased solution to Karabakh conflict, says Azerbaijani FM
- 28.04.2016French MP urges Armenia to stop provocations against Azerbaijan
- 28.04.2016Azerbaijan demands refutation from UN
- 28.04.2016Azerbaijan to send to int’l organizations documents on Armenian crimes against civilians