Madat Guliyev meets with ICRC Azerbaijan Delegation head in connection with return of soldier Chingiz Gurbanov's body
Chairman of the State Commission of Azerbaijan on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing People, head of the State Security Service (SSS), Lieutenant General Madat Guliyev on Tuesday met with Elena Ajmone Sessera, Head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Azerbaijan, in connection with the return of the body of the killed Azerbaijani soldier.
Madat Guliyev noted that Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev is closely following the issue related to return of the body of Azerbaijani soldier Chingiz Gurbanov, who was killed in an armed clash at the Azerbaijan-Armenia border and has given all necessary instructions in this regard, the State Commission told APA.
He said the State Commission welcomes the efforts of the ICRC and OSCE Minsk Group regarding the return of the Azerbaijani soldier’s body.
Guliyev noted that Armenia’s refusal to return the body of the killed Azerbaijani soldier, despite quite clear mechanism and procedures on handover of bodies, is a flagrant violation of the norms of international humanitarian law, human rights and the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, to which Armenia has joined as well.
Given the fact that Armenia has also previously allowed such inhuman actions as keeping bodies for a long time, the State Commission urges the relevant international organizations to prevent such cases and demand this country honor the Geneva Conventions, added the SSS head.
Stressing the constructive cooperation between the State Commission and the ICRC, the SSS head expressed hope for further development of this cooperation.
In turn, Ajmone Sessera said that the ICRC delegations in Azerbaijan and Armenia are making joint efforts for the soonest return of Chingiz Gurbanov’s body.
Highlighting the work done jointly by the ICRC Delegation in Azerbaijan and the State Commission’s Working Group in 2016, she gave detailed information about the projects planned for 2017.
In addition, the sides exchanged views on a number of issues of mutual interest.
A reconnaissance group of the Armenian Armed Forces tried to violate the Azerbaijan-Armenia state border on Dec. 29, 2016. The Armenian group found itself in the ambush of the Azerbaijani army while violating the borders and suffered heavy losses. Chingiz Gurbanov, a serviceman of Azerbaijani Armed Forces, went missing during the fight. It was later found out that Armenia kept the soldier’s body.
The Azerbaijani side has officially appealed to the office of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Azerbaijan, the OSCE Minsk Group, as well as to Andrzej Kasprzyk, personal representative of the OSCE chairperson-in-office. Despite this, the Azerbaijani soldier’s body has not been given yet.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 14.12.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian ceasefire violation
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijani FM: If Russia engages in Karabakh conflict settlement with all seriousness, Armenian troops’ withdrawal from occupied lands will be ensured
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijan's territorial integrity must be restored: Bangladeshi ambassador
- 18.01.2017Kurz says Russia can play key role in resolving crises in OSCE area
- 17.01.2017Armenian soldier wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 17.01.2017Lavrov: No consensus in OSCE on investigation of incidents in Karabakh - UPDATED
- 17.01.2017Malena Mard: EU supports Minsk Group efforts