Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
An international conference entitled "Parliamentarians Against Drugs" kicked off in the Russian State Duma on Monday.
The conference brought together parliamentarians, officials and leading experts from 44 countries. Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Yury Fedotov, Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova, the speakers of the parliaments of Indonesia, Iran, Mexico, Pakistan, the United States, Uzbekistan, and Ecuador, deputy speakers of the parliaments of a number of countries, and NGO representatives made speeches at the conference
After the plenary session, the conference proceeded with the sections entitled "Drug Addiction: A Modern Approach to Treatment and Rehabilitation", "Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", and "The Role of NGOs in the Fight against Drug Threat".
Speaking on the theme “Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", First Deputy Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov shared his views on drug trafficking and the fight against drug addiction.
He noted that combating illicit drug trafficking must be carried out on a global scale through cooperation.
According to Asgarov, illicit drug trafficking is directly linked to terrorism, separatism and the financing of illegal armed groups.
“Under various slogans, as well as the interpretation of the right to self-determination which is incompatible with the principles of international law, “gray zones” are created in a bid to carry out illegal activities, including illicit drug trafficking. From this point of view, it is clear that separatism, violation of territorial integrity of states, including the separation of parts of territories have close connection to such crimes as drug smuggling, illegal arms sale and terrorism financing. This causes a serious concern in relation to Nagorno-Karabakh,” he said.
The activities of the central government in occupied Nagorno-Karabakh are completely excluded, stressed Asgarov.
“This creates a fertile background for the activities of various criminal groups, including those involved in illicit drug trafficking,” he added.
The deputy speaker also emphasized that complex measures are being taken in Azerbaijan to return drug users to social life.
He also spoke about the penalties referred to in the Azerbaijani legislation on drugs, as well as the conditions created for the re-socialization of drug addicts in the country.
A joint declaration will be adopted after the two-day conference.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed