Associate Professor of Belarusian State University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
Associate Professor of Political Science Department of the Belarusian State University, PhD Sergei Simanovskiy has made a statement about joining the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace.
APA presents the statement:
“I consider that it is important to peacefully settle the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. I express my support and respect to territorial integrity, sovereignty and internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I emphasize the importance of implementation of relevant resolutions of UN Security Council, including resolutions and decisions adopted by other international organizations. Moreover, I would like to state the necessity of activities of OSCE Minsk Group towards the peaceful solution of the conflict.
Armenian and Azerbaijani nations have lived in peace. There are many examples for it. I note with regret that the perception of young generations in both countries has formed in the context of war as the result of unresolved conflict. It is high time to put an end to the conflict. I support peaceful coexistence of nations and the settlement of the conflict that has been lasting for a long time. All of us have to live in peace and I believe that peace will be established in South Caucasus.
Considering the above-mentioned reasons, I express my respect to peace initiative, and make a statement about joining the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace, aimed at solution of Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.”
For the purpose of contributing to a peaceful settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Armenia-Azerbaijan Platform for Peace was established on December 6, 2016. The Platform is an initiative of the citizens of Azerbaijan and Armenia who wish to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The initiative on the creation of the Platform has generated the interest of the international community as well as attracted the high level of public attention in both conflicting states. A large number of well-known experts highly appreciated this initiative and stressed the very special role of the above-mentioned peacekeeping initiative in the process of the peaceful settlement of the conflict.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017‘Peace Ambassador’ of Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform from Poland appointed
- 24.04.2017Foreign doctors to examine Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenians: State Commission
- 23.04.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 21.04.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, NGO “The Caucasus Interface” agree upon cooperation
- 21.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs likely to meet on April 27
- 20.04.2017Polish health worker joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 17.04.2017Head of Israeli Research Center joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister met with Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran
- 16.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 14.04.2017Grandson of Armenian Drama Theater founder joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 13.04.2017Moldovan political analyst joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 12.04.2017FM: Azerbaijan ready to provide all guarantees to both Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 12.04.2017German MP: Escalations of armed violence have to be prevented in order not to allow Khojaly tragedy to happen again
- 12.04.2017Professor of Tel-Aviv University joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 11.04.2017OSCE announced details of its activities in the direction of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict settlement in its annual report
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani FM calls for international pressure on Armenia
- 11.04.2017PABSEC: One out of every nine people in Azerbaijan is refugee or IDP
- 11.04.2017Ukrainian branch of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani FM: Common approach and principles should be applied to all conflicts
- 11.04.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017NATO says ‘it doesn’t want to even think of possibility of Armenia-Azerbaijan war’
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Extradition to Azerbaijan of person who illegally visited Karabakh was a lesson to others
- 10.04.2017Azerbaijani president: Restoration of Jojug Marjanli is a historic event
- 10.04.2017Russian branch of Int’l Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 09.04.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 07.04.2017Lukashenko calls on CIS to play active role in resolving conflicts in post-Soviet space
- 07.04.2017International Human Rights Society joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 07.04.2017French journalist appeals to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 07.04.2017EU says status quo in Nagorno-Karabakh unacceptable
- 06.04.2017Human rights activist Saadat Bananyarli joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 06.04.2017Azerbaijan erects monument to soldiers martyred fighting for Lele Tepe
- 06.04.2017March held in Horadiz to celebrate anniversary of April victories
- 06.04.2017Israeli envoy: There was hope for Karabakh conflict settlement after last year’s April escalation
- 05.04.2017France fully committed to lasting solution to Karabakh conflict
- 05.04.2017Russian MFA makes statement on anniversary of April escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 05.04.2017Writer Elchin Huseynbeyli joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan organizes foreign students’ trip to Jojug Marjanli
- 05.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenian leadership tries to create global confrontation
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President: "We highly appreciate Russia's efforts to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 04.04.2017Lavrov: Moscow expects Baku, Yerevan will show political will for mutual concessions
- 19.04.2017Russian, Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs may meet in Moscow
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan pleased with stance of Muslim countries on Karabakh conflict – PA official
- 20.04.2017Kamran Imanov: To justify its territorial claims, Armenia continues appropriation of Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to blacklist foreign companies operating illegally in its occupied territories
- 18.04.2017Russian Orthodox Church comments on CMO’s Khojaly appeal
- 17.04.2017Chairman of Association for Polish-Azerbaijani Cooperation joins Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform