Armenian woman visits graves of Azerbaijani civilians killed in Alkhanli
Oksana Altunyan, an Armenian woman who has joined the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform and is in Azerbaijan for the first time in the past 30 years, has visited the graves of the Azerbaijani toddler and her grandmother, both of whom were killed in an Armenian shelling of Fuzuli’s Alkhanli village, the Peace Platform’s press service told APA.
On July 4 at about 20:40 (GMT+4 hours), the Armenian armed forces, using 82-mm and 120-mm mortars and grenade launchers, shelled the Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli district. As a result of this provocation, the residents of the village Sahiba Allahverdiyeva, 50, and Zahra Guliyeva, 2, were killed. Salminaz Guliyeva, 52, was injured.
Oksana offered her condolences to the families of the victims and condemned the aggression against the civilians.
She was born in Baku and lived in the Azerbaijani capital until 1987 but moved to Moscow afterwards. She could not return to her homeland because of the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia.
On the first day of her visit to Azerbaijan, Oksana has also visited the graves of Heydar Aliyev, Muslum Magomayev, and Rashid Behbudov in the Alley of Honor.
Oksana called on intellectuals from both sides to unite their efforts to restore peace and good neighborly relations.
Oksana Altunyan then paid a visit to Baku’s Armenian Church, where she was shown copies of exceptional books, manuscripts, and unique examples of Armenian literature. The Armenian woman thanked the library for the preservation of rare Armenian books and manuscripts.
She could not hide her amazement at how beautiful Baku has become since 30 years ago, noting that she was very happy to finally be in the city she had been unable to tread for decades.
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 09.09.2014Ombudsman appeals to Head of ICRC Azerbaijan Delegation regarding 15-year-old Javid Mammadov taken hostage by Armenians
- 10.09.2014ICRC representatives visit Armenian citizen who crossed Azerbaijani border a few days ago
- 10.09.2014Personal Representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk considers hostage problem ‘humanitarian issue’
- 09.09.2014Ambassador: Trilateral meeting of French, Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents planned to be held in Oktober
- 08.09.2014State Committee: We have already kept in touch with family of the teenager taken hostage by Armenians
- 08.09.2014Khojaly 613 astounds an appreciative international academic audience