“Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands”
Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands, Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov told reporters in Baku Feb. 26, APA reported.
“Every time the international community calls for immediate steps to be taken to find a solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict or whenever an initiative arises to begin fulfilling some agreements reached during talks, Armenia resorts to provocative actions in a bid to escalate the situation along the line of contack, attacking Azerbaijani positions,” said Khalafov, commenting on the frontline provocation committed by Armenia on the night from Feb. 24 to Feb. 25.
Armenian army attempted to infiltrate through the Azerbaijani positions along the line of contact on the night from Feb. 24 to Feb. 25, said the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry on Feb. 25. The Armenian side attempted to seize favorable positions on the Khojavand-Fuzuli part of the frontline, said the ministry, adding heavy battles took place between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops.
The Armenian side’s large-scale provocation attempt was timely detected and resolutely prevented, said the ministry. Azerbaijani military units courageously prevented the attacks and the Armenian side was forced to retreat. Azerbaijan has casualties as a result of the battles, said the ministry.
The deputy minister noted that Armenia, through such provocations which are typical to its policy, is seeking to divert the attention of the international community from the conflict’s settlement.
“It won’t work because Azerbaijan now has international influence, has turned into the leading state in the South Caucasus region, and outdoes Armenia in both economic and military terms,” he said.
Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands, Khalafov stressed. “This is an illusion. The sooner they give up this illusion, the sooner will stability prevail in this region,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "The main issue of our foreign policy is the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani-born Armenian arrives in Baku
- 25.05.2018No discussion yet on date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting – Mammadyarov
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani FM: Proposing Karabakh separatists’ participation in talks means ‘killing’ peace process
- 25.05.2018FM: Azerbaijan ready for good neighborly relations with Armenia after restoration of its territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani people confident of restoring country’s territorial integrity
- 24.05.2018Trump: Coming months bring opportunities to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 16.05.2018Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan urges OSCE MG to force Armenia into peace talks
- 26.02.2017Khojaly Genocide: 25 years pass since tragedy of 20th century
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan: Int’l tribunal needed for Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2017Khojaly massacre – a black spot in history of mankind: Turkish envoy
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijani president pays tribute to Khojaly genocide victims
- 26.02.2017Nationwide march held in Baku to commemorate 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide