“Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands”
Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands, Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov told reporters in Baku Feb. 26, APA reported.
“Every time the international community calls for immediate steps to be taken to find a solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict or whenever an initiative arises to begin fulfilling some agreements reached during talks, Armenia resorts to provocative actions in a bid to escalate the situation along the line of contack, attacking Azerbaijani positions,” said Khalafov, commenting on the frontline provocation committed by Armenia on the night from Feb. 24 to Feb. 25.
Armenian army attempted to infiltrate through the Azerbaijani positions along the line of contact on the night from Feb. 24 to Feb. 25, said the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry on Feb. 25. The Armenian side attempted to seize favorable positions on the Khojavand-Fuzuli part of the frontline, said the ministry, adding heavy battles took place between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops.
The Armenian side’s large-scale provocation attempt was timely detected and resolutely prevented, said the ministry. Azerbaijani military units courageously prevented the attacks and the Armenian side was forced to retreat. Azerbaijan has casualties as a result of the battles, said the ministry.
The deputy minister noted that Armenia, through such provocations which are typical to its policy, is seeking to divert the attention of the international community from the conflict’s settlement.
“It won’t work because Azerbaijan now has international influence, has turned into the leading state in the South Caucasus region, and outdoes Armenia in both economic and military terms,” he said.
Armenia will never be able to annex Azerbaijani lands, Khalafov stressed. “This is an illusion. The sooner they give up this illusion, the sooner will stability prevail in this region,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Armenians attempt provocation at int’l festival in Sochi
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani State Commission informed of Shahbaz Guliyev’s relocation to Yerevan and return
- 17.10.2017OSCE Chairmanship welcomes fresh commitment by Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 17.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Sargsyan does not want to give up his habit of derailing talks
- 17.10.2017UN Secretary General welcomes summit between Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 16.10.2017Sargsyan: We agreed to take measures to further reduce tension on front line
- 16.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs will hold working sessions with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in near future
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents hold one-on meeting in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents meet in Geneva
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet today
- 15.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 112 times
- 12.10.2017Meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia to be held in Geneva next week
- 12.10.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s attempts to disrupt Karabakh talks failed - UPDATED
- 08.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 07.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs arrives in Baku
- 06.10.2017Book “Children – Innocent Victims of War” published in Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: If separatism in Karabakh had been prevented earlier, there would not be Kurdish, Catalan crises
- 06.10.2017Organization of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents’ meeting discussed in Yerevan
- 06.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs meet with Armenian FM
- 06.10.2017Georgian Parl’t: No real int’l mediation for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 06.10.2017EU supports efforts towards Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement
- 05.10.2017Armenians appeal to Russian Investigative Committee over historian Kuznetsov’s interviews to APA Information Agency
- 05.10.2017Armenian media distorts Czech Senate president’s remarks about Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia’s actions contradict basic principles of Christianity
- 05.10.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG visits Nagorno Karabakh
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani President: "The absence of pressure on the aggressor at the international level is one of the reasons for the unresolved conflict"
- 04.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh conflict must be resolved only within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 04.10.2017Moscow does not rule out discussion of Karabakh conflict at CIS FMs’ meeting in Sochi
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia failed to fulfill commitment on Karabakh settlement since accession to Council of Europe
- 04.10.2017Turkey urges citizens not to travel to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 03.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Baku on Oct. 7
- 03.10.2017Ukraine committed to supporting Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – FM
- 02.10.2017“Catalonia referendum was one of events that were huge support to Azerbaijan in respect of Karabakh problem”
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 25th anniversary of Khojavand occupation by Armenia
- 02.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region this week
- 01.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 30.09.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan urges OSCE MG to force Armenia into peace talks
- 26.02.2017Khojaly Genocide: 25 years pass since tragedy of 20th century
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan: Int’l tribunal needed for Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2017Khojaly massacre – a black spot in history of mankind: Turkish envoy
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijani president pays tribute to Khojaly genocide victims
- 26.02.2017Nationwide march held in Baku to commemorate 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide