Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
Over the past 24 hours, Armenian armed forces have 132 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, said Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry on April 9.
Armenian armed forces, located in nameless hills and in Berdavan village in Noyemberyan region, in Ayqepar, Chinari villages of Berd region and in nameless hills in Krasnoselsk region subjected to fire the positions of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces located in Kamarli, Gaymagli villages of Gazakh region, in Alibeyli, Aghbulag villages of Tovuz region and in nameless hills in Gadabay region.
The positions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces were also fired from positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Goyarkh, Yarimja villages of Terter region, Garagashli, Shirvanli, Marzili, Shikhlar villages of Aghdam region, Horadiz and Ashaghi Veyselli villages of Fuzuli region, as well as from positions located in nameless hills in Goranboy, Terter, Khojavend and Fuzuli regions.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 21.12.2017Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017NATO hopes for positive change in Karabakh peace process, Gottemoeller says
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 24.08.2012Armenians fire on positions of Azerbaijan Army in Aghdam and Fuzuli frontlines
- 25.08.2012Armenians fire on positions of Azerbaijani Army in four directions
- 25.08.2012Turkey offers to hold talks between Azerbaijan and Armenia in Istanbul
- 23.08.2012OSCE monitoring of contact line between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops finishes without incident
- 23.08.2012Ahmet Davutoglu: “Liberation of the Azerbaijani occupied territories remains main direction of our foreign policy”
- 23.08.2012Armenians fire on positions of Azerbaijani army