Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces have 131 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Nov. 21.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Farahli, Gushchu Ayrim, Ashaghi Eskipara, Mazam, Gizilhajili villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Shavarshavan, Voskevan villages and on nameless heights in Noyemberyan district, in Berkaber, Paravakar villages of Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, Armenia's armed units stationed in Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights in Berd district opened fire at the Azerbaijani army positions located in Alibeyli, Kokhanabi, Munjuglu, Garalar villages and on nameless heights in Tovuz district.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Goyali, Zamanli villages and on nameless heights in Gadabay district were also shelled from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh village of Terter district, Taghibeyli, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Garagashli, Novruzlu, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Ashaghi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garakhanbayli, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Terter and Khojavend districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed sacred mosques, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 12.12.2017France ambassador to Armenia: Karabakh conflict not “frozen”
- 11.12.2017Lukashevich: 2017 best remembered for resumption of Karabakh peace talks
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats hail work done in Azerbaijan to improve IDPs’ living conditions – Hikmat Hajiyev
- 11.12.2017American researcher: Territorial integrity, sovereignty of states must be respected
- 11.12.2017France will continue to work towards Karabakh conflict settlement – envoy
- 11.12.2017Foreign diplomats in Azerbaijan, journalists, heads of int’l organizations visit Tartar district
- 10.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 115 times
- 09.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenian army opens fire at village in Azerbaijan’s Aghdam
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: Work underway to increase number of OSCE observers for Karabakh conflict
- 08.12.2017Direct dialogue over Karabakh settlement doesn’t produce any visible progress, says Russian FM
- 08.12.2017Lavrov: December 7 statement affirms principles for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov: “Certain forces in the region are not interested in changing status-quo”
- 07.12.2017Co-chair countries issue joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Baku supports dialogue between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 07.12.2017Ukrainian FM calls for increased efforts to settle conflicts on territories of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova
- 07.12.2017U.S. supports Minsk Group efforts to find solution to Karabakh conflict – Tillerson
- 07.12.2017OSCE PA President: Increasingly intense hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh cause deep concern
- 07.12.2017Foreign Ministry: Next meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers in January
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani FM meets OSCE MG Co-Chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed
- 30.11.2017ANAMA carries out cleaning in area selected for new irrigation canal in Jabrayil district
- 30.11.2017Historian Kuznetsov: Threat of ‘Armenian terrorism’ on the rise in Russia
- 30.11.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey continues efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Ankara
- 29.11.2017FM: Costa Rica supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 29.11.2017Armenia again launches military exercises in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands
- 28.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: EaP summit declaration reaffirms support for territorial integrity of member countries
- 28.11.2017Armenian historian: Karabakh – integral, unique part of Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017Armenia hands over body of Azerbaijani soldier
- 28.11.2017Artur Agajanov: People-to-people diplomacy plays leading role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 28.11.2017State Commission: Efforts to release Azerbaijani hostages failed due to Armenia’s inhumane position
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijan: Arsen Bagdasaryan is ‘not a prisoner of war’, work underway with int’l organizations for Karapetyan
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM