Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in 24 hours
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 117 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on May 6.
Armenians were using 60-mm caliber mortars when opening fire at the Azerbaijani army positions.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kamarli, Farahli, Gaymagli and Gushchu Ayrim villages of Gazakh district came under fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights and Barekamavan village of Armenia’s Noyemberyan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghdam, Aghbulag, Kokhanabi, Munjuglu villages and on nameless heights of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari and Aygedzor villages of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Tartar district, Marzili, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gorgan, Garakhanbeyli, Horadiz, Ashaghi Seyidahmadli villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand and Fuzuli districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.11.201726 years have passed since Armenians shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 16.11.2017Baku agrees with proposal to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in Vienna - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Moscow reacts to Matthew Bryza’s statement on possible change in Minsk Group format
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report
- 13.11.2017Meeting of OSCE MG co-chairs, PACE co-rapporteurs on Karabakh conflict postponed
- 13.11.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Armenian FM in Moscow
- 13.11.2017Nearly 4,600 IDP families in Azerbaijan currently live in homes in disrepair – MP
- 12.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 11.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017U.S. diplomat says status quo in respect of Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’
- 10.11.2017OSCE Permanent Council holds meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan expects OSCE MG to take practical steps to intensify peace negotiations over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.11.2017Contacts in various formats on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict are no exception – Russian Foreign Ministry
- 08.11.2017Armenians attempt to interrupt Karabakh discussions during NATO PA seminar
- 08.11.2017Moscow: OSCE MG co-chairs plan to organize meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs by year-end
- 07.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: To change status quo, occupation of Azerbaijani lands must end
- 07.11.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 07.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta discusses Karabakh conflict with U.S. co-chair of OSCE MG
- 07.11.2017Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents is ‘a positive step’, says U.S. envoy
- 06.11.2017Dennis Sammut: Potential war in Karabakh won’t be like before
- 06.11.2017Turkey's municipal heads visit Jojug Marjanli
- 05.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 04.11.2017Anti-tank grenade blows up killing one and wounding two in Armenian military unit in Nagorno Narakabh
- 03.11.2017Women of Khojaly sends letter to CNN host Bourdain over his illegal visit to Karabakh
- 03.11.2017OSCE chief says ‘important’ to work with Russia to settle conflicts
- 03.11.2017U.S. supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says ambassador
- 06.05.2017Minsk Group co-chairs primarily serve their interests, says Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 06.05.2017Araz Azimov: Referendum on Nagorno-Karabakh can only take place with participation of entire Azerbaijani people
- 06.05.2017Baku says scheme of coordinated actions needed for Armenia’s withdrawal from Azerbaijani lands
- 05.05.2017Fuad Huseynov: Armenia tries to resettle Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 05.05.2017FM: Armenian army presence in occupied Azerbaijan lands remains major threat to regional peace
- 05.05.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Armenia tries to portray Karabakh conflict as Muslim-Christian confrontation