Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to religious leaders of two countries
Participants of the First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appealed to Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II and Chairman of the Caucasus Muslim Board Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade, the Platform told APA.
The message reads as follows:
“For nearly 30 years, the two nations which are under your spiritual and religious leadership, are living in mutual hatred and hostility. You know that the essence of this hostility is not deep and resistant as it is presented. At some periods, certain forces even attempted to give national and religious character to this conflict, but these unpleasant acts were prevented and eradicated as a result of your joint activity. At the same time, it is the result of your mutual cooperation that many prisoners of war have been released and returned to their homeland. It is encouraging that in 2010, as a result of your mutual cooperation, the Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church in Baku hosted a service.
Cases like these once more show that it is possible to establish peace between the Armenian and Azerbaijani peoples. For that reason, your spiritual influence over both nations should constantly call the opposing sides to peace and support all peacekeeping initiatives,” says the appeal.
The appeal goes on to note that the recent rising tense military situation had to destroy all hopes for the reconciliation of the two neighboring nations and their coexistence based on just peace. However, regardless all the difficulties, civil society representatives and journalists who didn’t lose their hopes and believed in the peace took the peaceful initiative.
“These people established the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 6, 2016. Since its foundation, it attracts civil society members, public policy figures and media representatives to the peace building process, they promote these ideas in both societies, and despite all the difficulties, they are confident in their work. All these activities allow us to effectively institutionalize for the sake of more effective results as the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform.
The peacekeepers from both nations and public-political figures from the OSCE Minsk Group countries, on October 30, 2017, met in Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia,. The Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform was established at the General Assembly and its board and other elected bodies were formed.
On behalf of the participants of the General Assembly, we ask you to bless our sacred duty and for your support to the soonest settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan, Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the returning of people to their homes and ending the 25-years long hostility between the two neighboring nations and to support through your bless the opening of our headquarters in Yerevan and Baku.”
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue joint statement on the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 18.01.2018The OSCE MG Co-Chairs will visit the region in early February
- 18.01.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "The co-chairs proposed a number of creative ideas about the resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18.01.2018Krakow meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs ends - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Meeting between Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs kicks off in Krakow
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 30.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs in November
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Turkey condemns Armenia’s occupation policy and recent provocations against Azerbaijani civilians
- 29.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan