Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to religious leaders of two countries
Participants of the First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appealed to Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II and Chairman of the Caucasus Muslim Board Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade, the Platform told APA.
The message reads as follows:
“For nearly 30 years, the two nations which are under your spiritual and religious leadership, are living in mutual hatred and hostility. You know that the essence of this hostility is not deep and resistant as it is presented. At some periods, certain forces even attempted to give national and religious character to this conflict, but these unpleasant acts were prevented and eradicated as a result of your joint activity. At the same time, it is the result of your mutual cooperation that many prisoners of war have been released and returned to their homeland. It is encouraging that in 2010, as a result of your mutual cooperation, the Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church in Baku hosted a service.
Cases like these once more show that it is possible to establish peace between the Armenian and Azerbaijani peoples. For that reason, your spiritual influence over both nations should constantly call the opposing sides to peace and support all peacekeeping initiatives,” says the appeal.
The appeal goes on to note that the recent rising tense military situation had to destroy all hopes for the reconciliation of the two neighboring nations and their coexistence based on just peace. However, regardless all the difficulties, civil society representatives and journalists who didn’t lose their hopes and believed in the peace took the peaceful initiative.
“These people established the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 6, 2016. Since its foundation, it attracts civil society members, public policy figures and media representatives to the peace building process, they promote these ideas in both societies, and despite all the difficulties, they are confident in their work. All these activities allow us to effectively institutionalize for the sake of more effective results as the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform.
The peacekeepers from both nations and public-political figures from the OSCE Minsk Group countries, on October 30, 2017, met in Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia,. The Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform was established at the General Assembly and its board and other elected bodies were formed.
On behalf of the participants of the General Assembly, we ask you to bless our sacred duty and for your support to the soonest settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan, Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the returning of people to their homes and ending the 25-years long hostility between the two neighboring nations and to support through your bless the opening of our headquarters in Yerevan and Baku.”
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 30.10.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs in November
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Turkey condemns Armenia’s occupation policy and recent provocations against Azerbaijani civilians
- 29.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan