Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
The First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform was held in Tbilisi, Georgia, on Oct. 30.
Participants of the First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appealed to Pope Francis.
“As a religious figure, you have dedicated your entire life to the promotion of ideas of peace and compassion among the people and the mankind. After you have been elected in Holy See, your activity has grown in size and efficiency. Your constant recalling at the meetings with public officials of the fact that each of the children of Adam is the God’s masterpiece regardless of their religion, race, gender, or nationality, contributes to the making our world more peaceful and humane,” said the participants in their message.
“As you know, there are still facts of aggression, war, occupation, forced evictions of people from their homes in different parts of the world. The destructive ideas that fuel the hatred of some people towards their fellow men, the myths used by the certain forces still stand firmly. These war seeds have been also sown among the Armenian and Azerbaijani peoples who have been friends and neighbors for centuries, sharing the same cultural accomplishments,” reads the message.
“For more than 25 years, the two neighboring nations are forced to live in a state of war. During this time, representatives of both nations act towards each other as victims of hostility and hatred. Young soldiers who face the ceasefire of formal character, and the civil population living near the front line are being killed. The recent rising tense military situation had to destroy all hopes for the reconciliation of the two neighboring nations and their coexistence based on just peace. However, regardless all the difficulties, civil society representatives and journalists who didn’t lose their hopes and believed in the peace took the peaceful initiative. These people established the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 6, 2016. Since its foundation, it attracts civil society members, public policy figures and media representatives to the peace building process, they promote these ideas in both societies, and despite all the difficulties, they are confident in their work. All these activities allow us to effectively institutionalize for the sake of more effective results as the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform,” says the message.
“On behalf of the participants of the General Assembly, we ask you to bless our sacred duty and for your support to the soonest settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan, Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the returning of people to their homes and ending the 25-years long hostility between the two neighboring nations,” reads the message.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 31.10.2017Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to religious leaders of two countries