Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims' Board Sheik ul-Islam Allahshukur Pashazade’s interview to APA’s Russia correspondent about trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders held on September 8 in Moscow
- Yesterday, a meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders was held. Only Patriarch Kirill held briefing about the result of the meeting. How do you assess the results of the meeting?
- Bismillahirrahmanirrahim (In the name of Allah, the beneficent the merciful)! I think the trilateral meeting was helpful. Generally, meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian religious leaders is positive. Such meetings will have positive impact on relations among the peoples. The meeting once more shows that there is no any alternative to peaceful settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh. This conflict should be settled within the international law. Armenian Catholicos Karekin II made accusations. We also noted our right position. I spoke about Azerbaijanis captivated by Armenia, issue of Dilgam Asgarov and said this conflict is in Azerbaijani lands.
Armenian Catholicos often reminded April incidents. I said these incidents occurred in Azerbaijani lands and Azerbaijan wants to release its lands.
Moreover, I raised the question about situation of religious monuments, mosques which are under occupation. I spoke about the situation of religious monuments and mosques not only in Nagorno Karabakh and seven regions, but also in current Armenia. I said I have preached in most of these mosques. But, those mosques don’t exist now.
In turn, the Armenian Catholicos claimed that Armenian Church in Baku is in bad situation. As a response, I invited Patriarch Kirill to Baku as a mediator between the Azerbaijani and Armenian peoples to get familiar with the situation of the church and inform to Karekin II.
I clearly said that neither we nor you will leave this region. We’ll live together. Therefore, the religious leaders should help normalization of relations between our peoples.
I told Karekin that Armenia should firstly liberate the seven regions around Nagorno Karabakh. This process should start slightly. Thereafter, heads of states, politicians may consider the status of Nagorno Karabakh issue, of course within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
- Was any decision made about continuation of such meetings in the future?
- I’ve note that Patriarch Kirill is interested in peaceful settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict. He played great role in holding of this meeting. I’d like this meeting to be continued. However, we should get result from these meetings. We offered to organize meetings of Azerbaijani and Armenian religious leaders. For example, one meeting in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh, another in Armenia. Although we - religious leaders have no authority, we decided to be more active. However, we can morally influence our peoples, at the same time, heads of states.
It was offered to create a group consisting of religious figures of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia. We discussed this issue at my meeting with Patriarch Kirill. Russian side will discuss this with Armenian side. This group will engage in morally helping while the ceasefire is violated and etc. I think this suggestion will yield result.
- Armenian Catholicos Karekin accused Azerbaijan of aggression. His speech was like a politician more than a religious man…
- All Karekin’s claims were answered in press conference and closed meeting. It was good that he made speech firstly. Then I answered all his claims.
I told him that if we will live together in the future, we must carry out certain works, take steps jointly. Otherwise, the end of this conflict will not be good. One of reasons of conflicts in the Near East, Burma is that the religious men did not interfere in time. If Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict does not come to an end, this conflict will spread to Caucasus. There are powers who want this conflict to be religious. We must not allow it. Otherwise, this will be unpreventable.
- The final declaration envisages release of captives. How did Karekin II react when you raised this question?
- Kareking said nothing about this issue. The main issue was to include the release of captives in the final declaration. Importance of release of civilians was noted in the declaration. Armenian Catholicos signed this declaration. It was very important to include in the declaration the release of captives and protection of religious monuments and mosques. I hope these issues will not remain only on the paper and we’ll not return to the beginning again.
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijan says Amnesty Press correspondent’s visit to Karabakh illegal
- 29.08.2017US formally appoints its new co-chair of OSCE MG
- 28.08.2017Portuguese charge d'affaires summoned to Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry
- 27.08.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017US co-chair of OSCE MG publishes key points of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.08.2017UNICEF comments on killing of two-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 23.08.201724 years passed since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts by Armenian armed forces
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands