Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
Unfortunately, the over-two-decade-old Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unsettled due to the continuation of Armenia’s occupation policy and territorial claims, Ali Hasanov, Assistant to the President of Azerbaijan for Public and Political Issues.
He made the remarks at a panel titled “Majorities Versus Minorities”, which was held as part of the 6th Global Baku Forum in Baku on March 15, APA reports.
Hasanov reminded that the seven statements and four resolutions passed by the UN Security Council in regard to the Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani territories call for an unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories.
“Armenia still ignores the UN requirements. The OSCE documents also emphasize the importance of the territorial integrity, border inviolability and sovereignty of Azerbaijan,” he said.
“The EU also backs the settlement of the conflict within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity. Moreover, the documents passed at NATO summits in various years also express support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” he said.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has displayed the fairest and most objective position towards the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as it is the first international organization to recognize Armenia as an aggressor and call for an end to this aggression, the president’s assistant stressed.
He noted that although organizations such as the UN, OSCE and the Council of Europe confirm the Armenian occupation of Azerbaijani lands, they tend to avoid explicitly condemning the invasion and pressuring Armenia to fulfill the demands put forth in the UN resolutions through international mechanisms of influence.
“In the best case scenario, the UN, the OSCE, the EU, as well as the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, who are involved in the peace-building process, are making an effort to settle the conflict by option to “look for compromising positions between the two countries” and “leave it to them to come to compromise on their own”. As a result, the status quo has remained for years. On the other hand, the conflict remains frozen due to Armenia’s continuation of unconstructive position in the negotiations mediated by the Minsk Group and the failure of the Minsk Group member states to take a unified position in relation to the problem,” Hasanov added.
According to the president’s aide, some international organizations believe that the conflict should be resolved by “both sides” and they should guarantee that “the agreement will not be violated.
Hasanov also touched upon the claims put forward by the Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh regarding the right to self-determination.
“In accordance with international law, the self-determination of national minorities can not be realized in the form of violation of the territorial integrity of other states,” he emphasized.
He went on to say: “It should be taken into account that the Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh, like Armenians in other countries, are one of the national minorities living in Azerbaijan, and their territorial claims run contrary to international law. In this issue, Azerbaijan’s position is that Azerbaijanis must return to Nagorno-Karabakh – their ancestral lands –, and Armenians must live there together with them. President Ilham Aliyev repeatedly noted in his speeches that self-determination claims put forward by the Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh contradict international law, and the Armenians have already realized their right to self-determination by creating the Armenian state. As the President of Azerbaijan states, if Armenians in each country will put forward self-determination claims, it is difficult to say what it will lead to.”
Azerbaijan, warning the world community about possible threats of the Nagorno-Karabakh to the region, urges an end to Armenia’s occupation policy, Hasanov stressed.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement