25 years of Khojaly tragedy commemorated in Luxembourg
The month of February is always filled with sorrow in Azerbaijan, and amongst those around the world who support the rule of law and the sanctity of human life. This is because, 25 years ago, that month saw the single worst atrocity of the Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh. The Khojaly massacre took the lives of 613 civilians. The death toll included 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people.
The Khojaly commemoration concert at the well-known Le Royal hotel in Luxembourg on 23 February 2017, organised by the Benelux office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS), within the Justice for Khojaly campaign, commemorated the victims of the Khojaly massacre, which occurred on 26 February 1992.
Various classical and contemporary works by Azerbaijani, German, Russian and French composers were performed by the pianist Nezrin Efendiyeva, accompanied by Astrid Gallez (transverse flute) and Marie-Carmen Suarez (violin), TEAS told APA.
Speaking before the audience of 130 politicians, VIPs, students and press representatives, TEAS Benelux Director Marc Verwilghen explained: “TEAS is organising these events within the framework of the Justice for Khojaly campaign. This is an international awareness campaign initiated by Mrs Leyla Aliyeva, Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation.”
“The Khojaly massacre was the worst single atrocity of the Armenia–Azerbaijan conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh and claimed the lives of 613 Azerbaijani civilian victims in 1992. The death toll included 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly people. The Armenian perpetrators of this atrocity are well known and they have to be brought to justice. We believe that judicial action against these perpetrators is possible with success, even before the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague. Azerbaijani refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) are still housed in camps across the country. In a nation of 9.7 million people, this amount is one of the highest levels of displacement per capita in the world”, Mr Verwighen said.
His Excellency Fuad Isgandarov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Luxembourg, Belgium and the EU, recalled that the Khojaly Massacre was a terrible atrocity that occurred in February 1992. He said: “Azerbaijan is very well known for its tolerance, rich cultural heritage and European values. I am glad to say that the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, thus making Azerbaijan the first Muslim-majority country ever to enfranchise women, introduced universal suffrage in Azerbaijan already in 1918. This is one of the numerous examples of the Azerbaijani pro-European orientation. The 613 victims from Khojaly were not only Azerbaijani, they were also European!”
Despite the passing of four UN Security Council resolutions against the invasion, Armenia continues to occupy Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding regions to this day. Currently nearly 20 per cent of Azerbaijani territory remains occupied, and approximately one million refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) are spread across Azerbaijan. The evening was dedicated to the memory of the Khojaly victims and those Azerbaijanis who have only one wish – to return to their homes and lands.
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 24.02.2017FM Mammadyarov: OSCE MG co-chair countries voted for UN resolutions on Karabakh conflict
- 24.02.2017Adoption of Khojaly resolution clearly indicates Djibouti’s position, says minister
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani MP urges int’l community to impose sanctions against Armenia
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan: 197 Khojaly residents listed as missing
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Number of women and children killed in Khojaly was higher
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan: European Parliament membership gives no right to violate laws