Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
An official ball of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, called Telstar 18, was unveiled in the Russian capital of Moscow on Thursday during a solemn ceremony attended by world’s football stars, APA reports quoting İTAR-TASS.
According to the official statement form FIFA, the new ball is: "A reinvention of a classic model with a brand-new panel design and the latest technology: in an exciting re-imagining, Adidas today revealed the official match ball for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, which pays homage to the first-ever Adidas World Cup ball."
"The Telstar 18 evokes unforgettable memories of the 1970 FIFA World Cup - and of legends like Pele, Gerd Muller, Giacinto Facchetti, Pedro Rocha and Bobby Moore - and will feed the dreams of those who will play for football’s most coveted prize in Russia next year," the statement from FIFA said.
The solemn ceremony to unveil the official match ball for the much-anticipated world championship in Russia was attended by active and former football stars such as Argentina’s Lionel Messi, France’s Zinedine Zidan, Brazil’s Kaka, Italy’s Alessandro Del Piero and Spain’s Xabi Alonso.
Commenting on the new official match ball of the upcoming global football championship, legendary forward of Barcelona FC and the Argentinian national squad Messi said "I like all of it: the new design, the colors, everything."
"I was lucky enough to get to know this ball a bit earlier and I managed to have a try with it," Messi, who arrived in Moscow this week for a friendly match between Argentina and Russia, added.
The friendly match between hosts Russia and Argentina is scheduled for November 11 at the Luzhniki Stadium, which had been idle for the period of reconstruction works since 2013. Messi arrived in Russia on Monday together with his partner in Barcelona FC and the national team, defensive midfielder Javier Mascherano.
After successfully hosting the FIFA Confederations Cup this summer, Russia is now in full-swing preparations to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Krasava by Adidas was the Official Match Ball at the FIFA Confederations Cup hosted by Russia in 2017.
The country selected 11 host cities to be the venues for the matches of the 2018 World Cup and they are Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sochi, Kazan, Saransk, Kaliningrad, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg and Samara.
The matches of the 2018 World Cup will be held between June 14 and July 15 at 12 stadiums located in the 11 mentioned above cities across Russia. Two of the stadiums are located in the Russian capital.
Among the teams that already qualified for the next year’s championship are hosts Russia, Brazil, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Belgium, Korea Republic, Saudi Arabia, Germany, England, Spain, Nigeria, Costa Rica, Poland, Egypt, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Panama, Uruguay, Colombia and Argentina.
The 2018 FIFA World Cup Final Draw will be held in the Russian capital of Moscow on December 1 and the Kremlin was selected as the venue for the event.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria