Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
Dani Alves inspired Juventus to a 2-1 win over Monaco on Tuesday to send the Italian club to its second Champions League final in three years, APA reports quoting BBC.
Alves set up Mario Mandzukic's opener in the 33rd minute and got on the scoresheet himself on the stroke of halftime with a fantastic volley as Juventus swept to a 4-1 victory on aggregate.
Kylian Mbappe scored a consolation goal in the 69th minute for Monaco, as Juventus remained on course for the treble. Massimiliano Allegri's side is likely to secure an unprecedented sixth Serie A title on Sunday at Roma, while it is also in the Italian Cup final.
Needing to overturn a 2-0 first-leg deficit, Monaco got off to an aggressive start. Juventus survived an early scare when Mbappe's shot from a tight angle came off the inside of the far post, although the teenager had been flagged offside.
Radamel Falcao then blasted over the crossbar two minutes later.
Juventus soaked up the early pressure before stepping up a gear midway through the half.
Gonzalo Higuain burst into the area and chipped Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic, but defender Kamil Glik hooked the ball clear.
Subasic then did well to deny Mandzukic, who also sent a header wide shortly afterward as Juventus pushed for the goal which would effectively end the contest.
That came shortly after the half hour as a long throw by goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon sparked a counter which culminated in an Alves cross. Subasic parried
Mandzukic's header but the Croatia forward prodded home the rebound.
Juventus doubled its tally just before halftime. Subasic punched clear a corner but it fell to Alves, who volleyed it into the back of the net from outside the area.
Monaco scored when a corner was played short and Joao Moutinho put in a low cross for Mbappe to fire home from close range.
Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid meet on Wednesday for the other second leg match, with defending champion Real Madrid leading 3-0.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 06.09.2017Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 02.09.2017UEFA opens probe into PSG club over compliance with financial fair play rules
- 25.08.2017Fenerbahce ousted from Europa League
- 24.08.2017Rivals of Azerbaijani Garabakh FC in the Champions League group stage become known - LIST
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 2 mln to FC Qarabag
- 24.08.2017US Embassy in Azerbaijan congratulates FC Qarabag
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijani “Karabakh” qualifies UEFA Champions League group stage
- 23.08.2017Sevilla send Basaksehir from Champions League
- 15.08.2017Champions League: Azerbaijan's Garabakh FC beat Denmark's Kopenhagen: 1-0
- 09.08.2017UEFA Super Cup: Real Madrid beat Manchester United 2-1 to retain title
- 04.08.2017Neymar completes $263M move to PSG
- 04.08.2017Gabala FC ends up in the Europa League
- 04.08.2017Fenerbahce beat Strum Graz in Europa League
- 03.08.2017Galatasaray to sign Fernando from Man City
- 02.08.2017Mircea Lucescu takes over as Turkish national team coach
- 01.08.2017Azerbaijan's Garabagh FC qualifies to the playoffs of the Champions League
- 28.07.2017Europe League: Panathinaikos - Gabala - 1: 0
- 27.07.2017Fenerbahce take round one against Sturm Graz
- 21.07.2017Gabala FC qualifies to the third round of Europa League
- 21.07.2017Galatasaray knocked out of UEFA Europa League
- 16.07.2017Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 24.06.2017Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 06.06.2017Turkish star quits international football after assault
- 04.06.2017Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs