Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
stanbul powerhouse Galatasaray parted ways with its Croatian manager Igor Tudor on Monday following the team's poor performance in recent weeks.
Galatasaray's Board of Directors chaired by club President Dursun Özbek met Monday and unanimously voted to sack Tudor after the meeting. The club's official website displaying the technical staff was unavailable throughout Monday.
The board also decided to hold extraordinary general assembly on Jan. 13, in which Özbek is expected to face challenges due to ailing performance of the football team as well as poor results in basketball and volleyball branches.
The club initially displayed a good start to the season, leading Turkish Super League for 13 weeks in a row. However, the club's downfall began in the ninth week after it drew 0-0 with archrival Fenerbahçe. Considering the Lions' outstanding performance up to that point everyone was expecting them to thrash Fenerbahçe.
Following the derby, Galatasaray lost four matches in the seven weeks. In the tenth week, it was beaten by Trabzonspor 2-1.
Runners-up Medipol Başakşehir, thrashing Galatasaray in a 5-1 home win on Week 12, took the lead on Week 14 as the Yellow-Reds suffered a 3-0 defeat against title-holders Beşiktaş in the Istanbul Derby, angering fans and prompting calls for resignation in sports media.
Galatasaray managed to climb again to the first position in Week 15 with a 4-2 defeat against Aegean club Akhisarspor in a match hotly debated for referee decisions. However, the Lions lost the lead again on Week 16 with a 2-1 loss against Yeni Malatyaspor, which served as the tipping point for Galatasaray executives.
After the defeat against Malatyaspor Sunday, Tudor said: "All my life is pressure. There are two popular things in Turkey. One is, 'Tudor resign!' the other is this worthless system [Tudor's strategy]. Everyone is happy when my system fails. It is the mentality in Turkey. When the team loses, I am guilty one but when it wins, the success belongs to the footballers. Every coach in the world makes mistakes."
The Croatian coach's weaknesses were mainly exposed in away matches, and in derbies. Galatasaray lost eight of 17 away matches under Tudor and two ended in draws.
Galatasaray's youth development coach Emrah Bayraktar will now take Tudor's position on an interim basis.
Previously managing his home team Hajduk Split, Greece's PAOK and Turkey's Karabükspor, Tudor's hiring as Galatasaray's manager was strongly contested with most sports commentaries against the choice. In February 2016, Tudor replaced Dutch manager Jan Olde Riekerink, who himself replaced Turkish manager Mustafa Denizli in March 2016 after his brief four-month stint with the club.
After an impressive run with Karabükspor, Tudor was on Galatasaray's radar. It approached Tudor, who despite having had a contract with Karabükspor, took the job. Galatasaray paid compensation to Karabükspor and appointed Tudor as the head coach in 2017.
Galatasaray fans first called for his sacking when the club was eliminated in the Europa League qualifiers by Swedish minnows, Ostersunds (3-1 in aggregate).
After the humiliating exit, Tudor and Özbek faced growing calls of resignation. However, Özbek defended Tudor and decided to continue to work with him.
Some Galatasaray fans have suggested that the club's legendary coach Fatih Terim be reinstated by the club. Terim has had three separate stints with Galatasaray and helped it to the historic UEFA Cup title in 2000.
Meanwhile, Medipol Başakşehir retook the top spot with a 4-1 win over Antalyaspor Sunday.
The Istanbul club got three points by scoring four goals in the second half after going down 0-1 in the first. Başakşehir's defender Alexandru Epureanu scored a brace in the crucial victory.
Başakşehir now leads the league with 33 points. The Galatasaray after the defeat against Yeni Malatyaspor is now left with 32 points. Current champion Beşiktaş, on the other hand, crushed Osmanlıspor (5-1) at Istanbul's Vodafone Stadium. Ryan Babel scored a hat-trick for the Black Eagles.
Related news releases
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 06.09.2017Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 02.09.2017UEFA opens probe into PSG club over compliance with financial fair play rules
- 25.08.2017Fenerbahce ousted from Europa League
- 24.08.2017Rivals of Azerbaijani Garabakh FC in the Champions League group stage become known - LIST
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 2 mln to FC Qarabag
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time