Former Ecuador football boss handed 10-year jail sentence
Baku-APA. An Ecuadorean court gave a 10-year jail sentence to former national soccer federation president Luis Chiriboga for corruption on Friday in another case stemming from the scandal at world governing body FIFA, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Chiriboga, 70, who ran the soccer federation for 18 years but has been under house arrest since late 2015, was convicted of money-laundering along with two others at the organization.
He is one of about 40 soccer bosses, mainly Latin Americans, implicated in U.S.-led investigations that have rocked FIFA.
Judge Miriam Escobar said about $6.1 million had passed illegally through Ecuador's soccer federation.
Her court in the capital Quito ordered the three soccer officials to pay back double that and to give up properties.
Lawyers for the men said they would appeal.
Chiriboga, who has denied the charges, would be likely to serve his sentence at home given his advanced age.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 23.11.2016Football: Basaksehir on top in Turkish Super League
- 24.11.2016Europa league: FK Gabala - RSC Anderlecht: 1-3
- 24.11.2016Fenerbahce beat Ukraine's Zorya Luhansk
- 04.11.2016Fenerbahce beat Manchester United 2-1 in Europa League
- 04.11.2016Europa League: Azerbaijan's Garabakh FC wins Greek PAOK
- 02.11.2016Besiktas hold Napoli to 1-1 draw in Champions League