Football: England manager quits over corruption claim
Allardyce’s contract was terminated after a newspaper filmed him appearing to negotiate a £400,000 ($520,840) agreement to give advice to businesspeople on how to circumvent player transfer rules.
He had been appointed in July after England crashed out of this summer's Euro 2016 tournament following an unexpected defeat to Iceland.
Footage released by the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday showed Allardyce saying he would use his role as England manager to help companies in Singapore and Hong Kong secure third-party ownership of football players – which contravenes rules set by the English Football Association (FA) and Fifa, the sport’s governing body.
The FA said in a statement: “Allardyce's conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgment and has apologized.
“However, due to the serious nature of his actions, the FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.
“The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times,” it added.
The England manager is paid a higher annual salary than any other national team coach in the world, according to sporting website Total Sportek.
Allardyce was reported to have agreed an annual salary of £3 million ($3.91m) plus bonuses.
His tenure saw just one competitive game, a 1-0 World Cup qualifying match victory over Slovakia.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 29.09.2016Europa League: Gabala FC 2 -3 Mainz FC
- 30.09.2016Turkish teams lose Europa League matches
- 30.09.2016Azerbaijani president receives UEFA head - UPDATED
- 25.09.2016Football: Galatasaray, Besiktas draw in Istanbul derby
- 16.09.2016Europa League: Last-minute goal saves Fenerbahce
- 15.09.2016Europa League: Karabakh FC plays in draw with Slovan FC- 2:2