Football: England manager quits over corruption claim
Allardyce’s contract was terminated after a newspaper filmed him appearing to negotiate a £400,000 ($520,840) agreement to give advice to businesspeople on how to circumvent player transfer rules.
He had been appointed in July after England crashed out of this summer's Euro 2016 tournament following an unexpected defeat to Iceland.
Footage released by the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday showed Allardyce saying he would use his role as England manager to help companies in Singapore and Hong Kong secure third-party ownership of football players – which contravenes rules set by the English Football Association (FA) and Fifa, the sport’s governing body.
The FA said in a statement: “Allardyce's conduct, as reported today, was inappropriate of the England manager. He accepts he made a significant error of judgment and has apologized.
“However, due to the serious nature of his actions, the FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.
“The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times,” it added.
The England manager is paid a higher annual salary than any other national team coach in the world, according to sporting website Total Sportek.
Allardyce was reported to have agreed an annual salary of £3 million ($3.91m) plus bonuses.
His tenure saw just one competitive game, a 1-0 World Cup qualifying match victory over Slovakia.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2017Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 06.06.2017Turkish star quits international football after assault
- 04.06.2017Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 10.05.2017Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs
- 20.04.2017Monaco reach UEFA Champions League semi-finals for first time since 2004
- 20.04.2017Juventus hold firm to qualify for Champions League semi-finals
- 19.04.2017Champions League: Real Madrid 4:2 Bayern Munich
- 12.04.2017Juventus dominate Barcelona in Champions League
- 28.03.2017Lionel Messi suspended for four World Cup qualifiers over match official abuse
- 27.03.2017Plane carrying Kazakh football team makes emergency landing in Armenia
- 25.03.2017Renat Dadashov chooses Azerbaijani national team in exchange for $1M - German media
- 25.03.2017Ireland's Coleman breaks leg in draw with Wales
- 24.03.2017Six clubs fined by UEFA for fans misconducts
- 23.03.2017Sanchez and Ozil contract talks are on hold, says Wenger
- 17.03.201710-man Besiktas send Olympiacos crashing out of Europe
- 10.03.2017Besiktas, Olympiacos draw 1-1 in Europa League
- 03.03.2017Fenerbahce defeat Kayserispor in Turkish Cup
- 28.02.2017Football: Besiktas defeat Galatasaray in derby clash
- 24.02.2017UEFA Europa League: Besiktas advance to last 16
- 22.02.2017Manchester City and Atletico Madrid win in Champions League
- 22.02.2017Manchester United and Schalke ease through in Europa League; Fener out
- 16.02.2017UEFA Champions League: Real beats Napoli in Madrid, 3-1
- 16.02.2017UEFA Champions League: Bayern take control against Arsenal, 5-1
- 14.02.2017Turkish football club Galatasaray sacks Dutch manager
- 14.02.2017Galatasaray parts ways with head coach Riekerink
- 10.01.2017FIFA approves 48-team World Cup for 2026
- 10.01.2017Cristiano Ronaldo crowned Best FIFA Men's Player
- 12.12.2016Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo beats Lionel Messi to win Ballon d'Or
- 29.09.2016Europa League: Gabala FC 2 -3 Mainz FC
- 30.09.2016Turkish teams lose Europa League matches
- 30.09.2016Azerbaijani president receives UEFA head - UPDATED
- 25.09.2016Football: Galatasaray, Besiktas draw in Istanbul derby
- 16.09.2016Europa League: Last-minute goal saves Fenerbahce
- 15.09.2016Europa League: Karabakh FC plays in draw with Slovan FC- 2:2