Juventus dominate Barcelona in Champions League
A fire has destroyed most of a migrant camp in northern France after fighting between rival groups injured five people, leaving officials scrambling on Tuesday to rehouse around 1,700 people, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Grande Synthe camp of tightly-packed wooden cabins, set up just over a year ago, was 70 percent destroyed by the blaze on Monday night after clashes between Iraqi Kurds and Afghans, Michel Lalande, a top regional official, told Reuters.
The Kurds originally formed a majority, but the population of the camp, near Dunkirk on the Channel coast, has swelled with the arrival of many Afghans.
"Yesterday, at 5 or 6 in the evening, the fight started between Afghans and the Kurdish. The Afghans were few, but they wanted to kill because they all had knives and other things," said a 21-year-old Iraqi migrant, who gave his name only as Mohamed.
Grande Synthe was home to one of the largest groups of migrants on the French coast seeking to reach Britain since the sprawling "Jungle" shanty town outside the nearby port of Calais was shut down last October.
Francois Guennoc, vice-president of humanitarian group Auberge des Migrants, blamed tensions in the camp on its over-population. "Since the closure of Calais, the population had risen from about 850 people to 1,700 in recent days," he told France Inter radio.
Last week, some camp residents tried to block the nearby highway with tree trunks and branches in an attempt to stop traffic and clamber onto trucks in the hope of reaching Britain.
Sights like these in recent years to some extent drove Britons to vote for a divorce from Europe last summer.
The large influx into Europe of migrants fleeing poverty and war elsewhere is also a hot button issue in France, where the far-right anti-immigration leader Marine Le Pen is a frontrunner in the presidential election less than two weeks away.
Le Pen repeated on Tuesday that she would close migrant camps and France's borders, also drastically cutting migration should she be elected.
"This chaos has to end," she said in a statement. Opinion polls show Le Pen tied with centrist Emmanuel Macron in the first round on April 23, then losing to him in the run-off of the two top scoring candidates on May 7.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 10.05.2017Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs
- 25.03.2017Ireland's Coleman breaks leg in draw with Wales
- 24.03.2017Six clubs fined by UEFA for fans misconducts
- 23.03.2017Sanchez and Ozil contract talks are on hold, says Wenger
- 17.03.201710-man Besiktas send Olympiacos crashing out of Europe
- 10.03.2017Besiktas, Olympiacos draw 1-1 in Europa League
- 03.03.2017Fenerbahce defeat Kayserispor in Turkish Cup
- 28.02.2017Football: Besiktas defeat Galatasaray in derby clash
- 24.02.2017UEFA Europa League: Besiktas advance to last 16
- 22.02.2017Manchester City and Atletico Madrid win in Champions League
- 22.02.2017Manchester United and Schalke ease through in Europa League; Fener out
- 16.02.2017UEFA Champions League: Real beats Napoli in Madrid, 3-1
- 16.02.2017UEFA Champions League: Bayern take control against Arsenal, 5-1
- 14.02.2017Turkish football club Galatasaray sacks Dutch manager
- 14.02.2017Galatasaray parts ways with head coach Riekerink
- 10.01.2017FIFA approves 48-team World Cup for 2026
- 10.01.2017Cristiano Ronaldo crowned Best FIFA Men's Player
- 12.12.2016Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo beats Lionel Messi to win Ballon d'Or
- 03.12.2016Football: Fenerbahce, Besiktas draw in Istanbul derby
- 03.12.2016El Clasico: Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid: Last minute Sergio Ramos header cancels out Luis Suarez's goal
- 30.11.2016Football: Gareth Southgate named new England manager
- 25.11.2016Europa League: Slovan - Karabakh - 3: 0
- 24.11.2016Fenerbahce beat Ukraine's Zorya Luhansk
- 24.11.2016Europa league: FK Gabala - RSC Anderlecht: 1-3
- 23.11.2016Football: Basaksehir on top in Turkish Super League
- 19.11.2016Former Ecuador football boss handed 10-year jail sentence
- 04.11.2016Fenerbahce beat Manchester United 2-1 in Europa League
- 04.11.2016Europa League: Azerbaijan's Garabakh FC wins Greek PAOK
- 02.11.2016Besiktas hold Napoli to 1-1 draw in Champions League
- 25.10.2016Brazil’s legendary, former head-coach of the Azerbaijani national team Alberto Torres dies
- 22.10.2016Wolf chosen as mascot of 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia
- 20.10.2016Europa League: Azerbaijan’s Karabakh FC wins PAOK FC: 2-0
- 20.10.2016Football legend Ronaldinho: I might play for Qabala FC
- 20.10.2016Football legend Ronaldinho in Baku - PHOTOSESSION
- 19.04.2017Champions League: Real Madrid 4:2 Bayern Munich
- 20.04.2017Juventus hold firm to qualify for Champions League semi-finals
- 20.04.2017Monaco reach UEFA Champions League semi-finals for first time since 2004
- 28.03.2017Lionel Messi suspended for four World Cup qualifiers over match official abuse
- 27.03.2017Plane carrying Kazakh football team makes emergency landing in Armenia
- 25.03.2017Renat Dadashov chooses Azerbaijani national team in exchange for $1M - German media