Juventus dominate Barcelona in Champions League
A fire has destroyed most of a migrant camp in northern France after fighting between rival groups injured five people, leaving officials scrambling on Tuesday to rehouse around 1,700 people, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Grande Synthe camp of tightly-packed wooden cabins, set up just over a year ago, was 70 percent destroyed by the blaze on Monday night after clashes between Iraqi Kurds and Afghans, Michel Lalande, a top regional official, told Reuters.
The Kurds originally formed a majority, but the population of the camp, near Dunkirk on the Channel coast, has swelled with the arrival of many Afghans.
"Yesterday, at 5 or 6 in the evening, the fight started between Afghans and the Kurdish. The Afghans were few, but they wanted to kill because they all had knives and other things," said a 21-year-old Iraqi migrant, who gave his name only as Mohamed.
Grande Synthe was home to one of the largest groups of migrants on the French coast seeking to reach Britain since the sprawling "Jungle" shanty town outside the nearby port of Calais was shut down last October.
Francois Guennoc, vice-president of humanitarian group Auberge des Migrants, blamed tensions in the camp on its over-population. "Since the closure of Calais, the population had risen from about 850 people to 1,700 in recent days," he told France Inter radio.
Last week, some camp residents tried to block the nearby highway with tree trunks and branches in an attempt to stop traffic and clamber onto trucks in the hope of reaching Britain.
Sights like these in recent years to some extent drove Britons to vote for a divorce from Europe last summer.
The large influx into Europe of migrants fleeing poverty and war elsewhere is also a hot button issue in France, where the far-right anti-immigration leader Marine Le Pen is a frontrunner in the presidential election less than two weeks away.
Le Pen repeated on Tuesday that she would close migrant camps and France's borders, also drastically cutting migration should she be elected.
"This chaos has to end," she said in a statement. Opinion polls show Le Pen tied with centrist Emmanuel Macron in the first round on April 23, then losing to him in the run-off of the two top scoring candidates on May 7.
Related news releases
- 15.08.2017Champions League: Azerbaijan's Garabakh FC beat Denmark's Kopenhagen: 1-0
- 09.08.2017UEFA Super Cup: Real Madrid beat Manchester United 2-1 to retain title
- 04.08.2017Neymar completes $263M move to PSG
- 04.08.2017Gabala FC ends up in the Europa League
- 04.08.2017Fenerbahce beat Strum Graz in Europa League
- 03.08.2017Galatasaray to sign Fernando from Man City
- 02.08.2017Mircea Lucescu takes over as Turkish national team coach
- 01.08.2017Azerbaijan's Garabagh FC qualifies to the playoffs of the Champions League
- 28.07.2017Europe League: Panathinaikos - Gabala - 1: 0
- 27.07.2017Fenerbahce take round one against Sturm Graz
- 21.07.2017Gabala FC qualifies to the third round of Europa League
- 21.07.2017Galatasaray knocked out of UEFA Europa League
- 16.07.2017Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 24.06.2017Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 06.06.2017Turkish star quits international football after assault
- 04.06.2017Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 12.05.2017FIFA warmly accepts Russia’s report on preparations for 2017, 2018 Cups
- 11.05.2017Madrid eliminates Atletico, reaches Champions League final
- 10.05.2017Juventus beats Monaco 2-1 to reach Champions League final
- 30.04.2017Bayern Munich clinched their fifth successive Bundesliga title
- 26.04.2017English football clubs raided over fraud probe
- 26.04.2017Fenerbahce sweep Panathinaikos in Euroleague playoffs
- 25.03.2017Ireland's Coleman breaks leg in draw with Wales
- 24.03.2017Six clubs fined by UEFA for fans misconducts
- 23.03.2017Sanchez and Ozil contract talks are on hold, says Wenger
- 17.03.201710-man Besiktas send Olympiacos crashing out of Europe
- 10.03.2017Besiktas, Olympiacos draw 1-1 in Europa League
- 03.03.2017Fenerbahce defeat Kayserispor in Turkish Cup
- 28.02.2017Football: Besiktas defeat Galatasaray in derby clash
- 24.02.2017UEFA Europa League: Besiktas advance to last 16
- 22.02.2017Manchester City and Atletico Madrid win in Champions League
- 19.04.2017Champions League: Real Madrid 4:2 Bayern Munich
- 20.04.2017Juventus hold firm to qualify for Champions League semi-finals
- 20.04.2017Monaco reach UEFA Champions League semi-finals for first time since 2004
- 28.03.2017Lionel Messi suspended for four World Cup qualifiers over match official abuse
- 27.03.2017Plane carrying Kazakh football team makes emergency landing in Armenia
- 25.03.2017Renat Dadashov chooses Azerbaijani national team in exchange for $1M - German media