Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
English Premier League Club Everton announced the signing of Turkish international Cenk Tosun from Besiktas late Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Announcing the new signing on their official Twitter account, the Merseyside club said: "Welcome to Everton, @CenkTosun_!"
Tosun inked the deal keeping him at the English club for the next 4.5 years, to the end of June 2022, the club said.
According to Turkish sports media, Tosun's transfer was completed in a £27 million deal, a record breaker as he became the most expensive player to be transferred from a Turkish club.
Everton's official website shared a quoted from Tosun on his transfer, “It feels great to be an Everton player,” he told EvertonTV.
“I’m really happy to be here and happy that everything is done. I’m really excited to play for Everton as soon as possible. Everton is a great club with a big history and a big culture and I’m looking forward to showing the fans the kind of player I am," he was quoted by the club.
“I bring my skills here and everybody is going to see what kind of player I am. I believe I can be a good player in the Premier League for Everton."
Cenk Tosun, 26, joined Besiktas from another Turkish club Gaziantepspor in July 2014 on a free transfer and scored 64 goals in 142 matches for the Istanbul side for 3.5 seasons.
The German-born Turkish forward drew the attention of European clubs thanks to his individual performance in this season's UEFA Champions League group stage as he managed to produce four goals in six Champions League matches.
Tosun helped Besiktas qualify for the Champions League Round of phase 16. The Istanbul Giants secured a top spot in Group G and became the first Turkish club to emerge undefeated from the group stages after playing against Porto, Leipzig and Monaco.
In addition, Tosun's 25-meter strike against Portuguese side Porto in the UEFA Champions League won 'Goal of the Group Stage' on Dec. 18. He received possession about 25 meters out and advanced a few paces before unleashing a right-footed rocket which defeated Porto 'keeper Iker Casillas.
During his Besiktas career, Turkish international won two back-to-back Turkish Super Lig titles in 2016 and 2017. He scored eight goals in 16 domestic league appearances in the 2017/2018 season.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Galatasaray becomes champion in Turkish Super League
- 19.05.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Juventus career ends with win over Verona
- 11.05.2018Akhisarspor claim Ziraat Turkish Cup for first time
- 07.05.2018Organizing committee set up for holding of UEFA Europa League final in Baku
- 04.05.2018Referee cancels Fenerbahce-Besiktas derby
- 03.05.2018Liverpool advances to final knocking Roma out of Champions League
- 02.05.2018Real beat Bayern to reach third final in row
- 27.04.2018Besiktas refuse to take field on May 3
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor