Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
Europe’s top football club Barcelona has extended Argentine star Lionel Messi's contract to keep him in the club until 2021, the club announced on its website on Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Messi, 30, joined the club in 2000 at the age of 13, and went on to score titles, records, and individual and team awards.
When his new deal concludes, Messi will have played at least 17 seasons for Barcelona.
Individually, he has won the Ballon d’Or award five times, more than any other player in history.
He was also the top scorer in Spain's First Division La Liga four times, and collected four Golden Shoe awards as Europe's top domestic scorer.
"Barca is my home. I [want] to spend my life here, at my home... I always wanted to end my career here. My dream was to end my career with Barcelona and we are on track,” the top striker wrote on Twitter.
To announce the deal, Barcelona's official Twitter account sent out a tweet saying: "He has played 602 games. He has scored 523 goals. He has won 30 trophies. The story continues."
In the new deal, Messi's buyout clause was set as €700 million ($835 million).
Related news releases
- 19.05.2018Galatasaray becomes champion in Turkish Super League
- 19.05.2018Gianluigi Buffon: Juventus career ends with win over Verona
- 11.05.2018Akhisarspor claim Ziraat Turkish Cup for first time
- 07.05.2018Organizing committee set up for holding of UEFA Europa League final in Baku
- 04.05.2018Referee cancels Fenerbahce-Besiktas derby
- 03.05.2018Liverpool advances to final knocking Roma out of Champions League
- 02.05.2018Real beat Bayern to reach third final in row
- 27.04.2018Besiktas refuse to take field on May 3
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea