10-man Besiktas send Olympiacos crashing out of Europe
Besiktas eliminated Olympiacos from the UEFA Europa League in Istanbul late on Thursday, booking themselves a quarter-final berth in the process, APA reports quoting AA.
Besiktas built on a hard-won first-leg 1-1 away draw to put four past Olympiacos at the Vodafone Arena. The 5-2 aggregate score was more than enough to send the Black Eagles’ Greek opponents crashing out of the competition.
The Istanbul club now advance to the quarter-finals, their first showing at this level since the 2002/2003 season.
Striker Vincent Aboubakar scored the opening goal for Besiktas in the 10th minute when Anderson Talisca delivered a corner and Aboubakar rattled the net with a powerful header.
Besiktas increased their lead to two in the 22nd minute, when winger Ryan Babel -- who has not scored a European goal since August 2010 -- placed a low shot into the net.
The Istanbul side were unable to protect their early 2-0 lead as Tarik Elyounoussi scored a volley which deflected off the back of defender Adriano and beat goalkeeper Fabri.
Olympiacos had another lifeline in the 39th minute when the referee showed Aboubakar a red card for an off-the-ball incident.
In the second half, 10-man Besiktas needed to secure their lead to avoid elimination. The Turkish side ended the Greek league leaders' hopes by finding another two goals.
Babel scored another in the 75th minute and Cenk Tosun -- who came on for Ricardo Quaresma -- found the net in the 84th minute.
The Europa League quarter-final draw will take place in Nyon at GMT1200 on Friday.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 06.09.2017Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 02.09.2017UEFA opens probe into PSG club over compliance with financial fair play rules
- 25.08.2017Fenerbahce ousted from Europa League
- 24.08.2017Rivals of Azerbaijani Garabakh FC in the Champions League group stage become known - LIST
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 2 mln to FC Qarabag
- 24.08.2017US Embassy in Azerbaijan congratulates FC Qarabag
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijani “Karabakh” qualifies UEFA Champions League group stage
- 23.08.2017Sevilla send Basaksehir from Champions League
- 15.08.2017Champions League: Azerbaijan's Garabakh FC beat Denmark's Kopenhagen: 1-0
- 09.08.2017UEFA Super Cup: Real Madrid beat Manchester United 2-1 to retain title
- 04.08.2017Neymar completes $263M move to PSG
- 04.08.2017Gabala FC ends up in the Europa League
- 04.08.2017Fenerbahce beat Strum Graz in Europa League
- 03.08.2017Galatasaray to sign Fernando from Man City
- 02.08.2017Mircea Lucescu takes over as Turkish national team coach
- 01.08.2017Azerbaijan's Garabagh FC qualifies to the playoffs of the Champions League
- 28.07.2017Europe League: Panathinaikos - Gabala - 1: 0
- 27.07.2017Fenerbahce take round one against Sturm Graz
- 21.07.2017Gabala FC qualifies to the third round of Europa League
- 21.07.2017Galatasaray knocked out of UEFA Europa League
- 16.07.2017Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 24.06.2017Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 06.06.2017Turkish star quits international football after assault
- 04.06.2017Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list
- 25.05.2017Manchester United beat Ajax to win the Europa League
- 22.05.2017Well-known sports TV commentator Vladimir Pereturin dies aged 79
- 23.03.2017Sanchez and Ozil contract talks are on hold, says Wenger
- 24.03.2017Six clubs fined by UEFA for fans misconducts
- 25.03.2017Ireland's Coleman breaks leg in draw with Wales
- 10.03.2017Besiktas, Olympiacos draw 1-1 in Europa League
- 03.03.2017Fenerbahce defeat Kayserispor in Turkish Cup
- 28.02.2017Football: Besiktas defeat Galatasaray in derby clash