Karabakh-Collection by Leonie Mergen – showcasing Azerbaijani heritage – hits the London Fashion Week runway
On 18 February, the young Berlin-based designer Leonie Mergen oversaw the UK launch of her stunning new Karabakh-Collection. The line of 18 designs takes a resolutely contemporary approach to the themes and culture of the Azerbaijani region of Karabakh, The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) told APA.
The presentation followed in the high-heeled footsteps of its world premiere during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Berlin and at the annual brand event for L’Oréal Professionnel, also in the German capital. London Fashion Week typically attracts 5000 of the international crème de la crème of the fashion elite. The afterparty – hosted by TEAS at the Andaz Studio in London’s hip Shoreditch region – was attended by 100 top-flight fashionistas and covered by the BBC and AzTV (Azerbaijani state television).
Despite the inherent challenges in obtaining accurate information about the iconography of Karabakh designs – many books, designs and historical artefacts were destroyed during the Armenian–Azerbaijani conflict, which raged from 1988–94 – the vibrancy of these national designs inspired young Berlin-based designer Leonie. She was particularly taken by the Azerbaijani game of chovkan (a more exciting precursor of polo) that also originated in the region and is played on Golden Karabakh Horses.
The ensembles feature patterns reminiscent of the country’s famous tapestries, with signature necklines and sleeved capes making an appearance in both menswear and womenswear. Azerbaijan’s legacy as a hub on the historic Silk Road, and as a leader in horse-breeding, is omnipresent in Leonie’s designs, with equestrian-influenced leather accessories and sophisticated silk elements playing an essential role in her
Sleek magazine wrote: “The designer combined plunging necklines and sleeved capes with buttery-soft leather and delicate silk – a reference to Azerbaijan’s legacy as a hub on the ancient Silk Road. Geometric navy and burgundy patterns evoke the region’s infamous tapestries in the designer’s distinctive first show.”
Writing for C-Heads Magazine, commentator Harry Leath wrote: “Furs, silk, velvet and leather combine to exude an imperious sophistication whilst conceding a polite modesty in form; it is resplendent with deep, regal colours and rich with warm, classic textures. Mergen is an honest admirer of tradition and shows us how we can marry tradition with progression; we do not have to eschew tradition in order to move forward, we must embrace it with unfettered honesty.”
Tale Heydarov, Chairman, Founder, TEAS stated: “The Karabakh Collection is a very interesting project for TEAS. We are very happy to see that it has created considerable interest in Azerbaijani culture and that it has been picked up by a wide audience, ranging from media representatives all the way to industry professionals.”
With regard to Nagorno-Karabakh, he continued: “A fashion collection with this degree of international coverage and attention helps a great deal in showing to a wider public that there is an occupied Azerbaijani region called Nagorno-Karabakh and that steps have to be undertaken to protect our national heritage across all areas of culture and by harnessing the power of civil society.”
Visit www.karabakh-collection.com to see the new line.
- 30.09.2014Azerbaijani musician’s anniversary celebrated in Finland - PHOTO
- 13.03.2013Bookmakers forecast Denmark's representative will win "Eurovision-2013"
- 22.04.2012Days of Azerbaijani culture end in Italy, first lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends closing ceremony – PHOTOSESSION
- 26.03.2012Three big companies functioning in Turkey’s defense sector realized projects regarding Azerbaijan
- 27.07.2011Abulfas Garayev meets Spanish delegation
- 06.05.2011Outstanding Azerbaijani Pianist Farhad Badalbeyli and Conductor Azad Aliyev will perform in Vilnius
- 28.02.2011OSCE to conduct monitoring of contact line between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops
- 23.02.2011Paramount Group presents Mbombe armored fighting vehicle to Azerbaijani delegation
- 29.07.2010UNESCO Director General and Azerbaijani ministers attend round table in Baku
- 26.01.2010Baku to host seminar on “Italian culture in the context of world civilization”
- 30.11.2009The Mystical Music of Mugham Comes To Montana wins another festival
- 26.06.2009’King of pop’ Michael Jackson dies at 50
- 11.04.2009Alim Gasimov to give concert in Great Britain
- 25.03.2009Azerbaijani mugham trio gives concerts in Geneva and Zurich
- 28.11.2008Tahir Salahov: An artist gets applauses 500 years later- INTERVIEW
- 17.09.2008Heydar Alyev palace overhauled in line with modern standards – PHOTOSESSION
- 20.05.2017Famous American photographer, who filmed Nagorno Karabakh conflict, dies
- 02.12.2015Steven Seagal to give concert at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 03.08.2015President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 5mln for reconstruction of Azerbaijan State Drama Theatre in Derbend
- 12.01.2015Azerbaijan to celebrate Romanian National Culture Day