Sole Russian athletics competitor Klishina suspended from Games - IAAF
Baku-APA. Russia's sole track and field competitor at the Rio Olympics, Darya Klishina, has been suspended from the Games, the international athletics federation (IAAF) said on Saturday, confirming it had withdrawn her special eligibility status, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The expemption to a blanket ban on Russian competitors over allegations of state-sponsored doping had been given to the long jumper after she proved she was not involved in the system and had been subject to drug tests outside the country.
Russia's Olympics chief Alexander Zhukov told Russian news agencies: "The situation with Darya Klishina appears to be cynical mockery of the Russian sportswoman by the IAAF."
A source close to the proceedings, who spoke on condition of anonymity said Klishina had been suspended as new evidence had emerged in relation to a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report, the McLaren report.
The International Association of Athletics Federations told Reuters the long jumper had taken her case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
"We can confirm she is challenging our decision at CAS. This is the only information we are able to give for the moment," an IAAF official said.
CAS said it expected to rule on her appeal either on Sunday or Monday.
The report, drafted by Canadian Richard McLaren, described what WADA said was systematic doping among Russian athletes, supported by the Russian state over several years, including at the 2014 Sochi winter Olympics.
Russia's track and field athletes had been banned from the Olympics due to the doping scandal. Klishina's was one of 136 appeals to the IAAF but the only one given the green light to compete in Rio.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2018Russia's Olympic ban lifted following doping violations
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva announced Sports Organizer of Year
- 23.12.2017Olympic Committee bans 11 Russian athletes for life
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of sports in Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani president: No sports success possible without children’s sports
- 18.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani athletes who achieved high results in 2017
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017
- 12.12.2017ROC’s Assembly stands for Russian athletes’ participation in Winter Olympics
- 10.12.2017OCR head hopes Russian athletes’ Olympic kits to feature national details
- 06.12.2017IOC president denies political reasons behind decision to bar Russia from 2018 Games
- 06.12.2017Russian athletes may carry national flag at 2018 Olympics closing if IOC demands met
- 05.12.2017Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Absheron Olympic Sport Complex - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 15.08.2016Rio-2016: Boxer Mamishzade qualifies for quarterfinal
- 15.08.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani boxer reaches semifinal to guarantee bronze medal of Rio Olympics
- 16.08.2016Rio-2016: Shariati wins bronze for Azerbaijan
- 13.08.2016Rio-2016: US Swimmer Katie Ledecky Sets World Record in Women’s 800M Freestyle
- 12.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani boxer advances to 1/4
- 12.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani boxer qualifies to 1/8