Russia's Olympic ban lifted following doping violations
Russia's membership in the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was reinstated on Wednesday following a doping ban which saw athletes from the country competing as neutrals at Pyeonghang 2018, according to an official statement, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A team of 168 Russian athletes competed in the Winter Games as neutrals, however two failed a doping test. The Olympic committee had promised if the remaining athletes were tested negative, the ban on Russia will be lifted.
"The suspension of the Russian Olympic Committee is automatically lifted with immediate effect," said the statement, following negative test results for the athletes.
Alexander Zhukov, president of the Russian Olympic Committee, welcomed the decision.
"The past three months have been among the most challenging ones in the Russian sport’s history. We had to meet many demands before and during the Games.
"I would like to thank our athletes who were able to perform well even despite the provocations. I thank the fans who did not cross the line and what could result in sanctions. Today’s IOC’s decision is very important for us," he said in a statement.
Late 2017, the IOC barred Russian athletes from competing under the country's flag in PyeongChang, South Korea, although those with a clean record of drug-testing were able to compete as neutrals.
The 23rd Olympic Winter Games ended on Feb. 25.
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani president: No sports success possible without children’s sports
- 18.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani athletes who achieved high results in 2017
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017
- 12.12.2017ROC’s Assembly stands for Russian athletes’ participation in Winter Olympics
- 10.12.2017OCR head hopes Russian athletes’ Olympic kits to feature national details
- 06.12.2017IOC president denies political reasons behind decision to bar Russia from 2018 Games
- 06.12.2017Russian athletes may carry national flag at 2018 Olympics closing if IOC demands met
- 05.12.2017Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Absheron Olympic Sport Complex - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva announced Sports Organizer of Year
- 23.12.2017Olympic Committee bans 11 Russian athletes for life
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of sports in Azerbaijan