Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
Ben Ekumbo, deputy chairman of the National Olympic Committee, was detained as part of a police probe into the theft of sportswear and equipment meant for Kenyan athletes during the Rio Olympics earlier this year.
Boxes containing Team Kenya Nike footwear, tracksuits and bags were recovered from his home in Westlands, a police officer said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
The officer said that the operation was carried out by police from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation.
“They raided the house of Ekumbo and found numerous boxes of Nike sports kits, which were meant to be used in the Olympics,” the officer said. “Some of them were for the runners while others belonged to the swimming team. Ekumbo will be taken to court tomorrow, on Tuesday.”
Kenya’s Olympic bid was marred my athletes’ complaints about missing sportswear that led to the disbanding of the Kenyan Olympic committee over the “embarrassment”.
A government report released Friday into the embezzlement of funds at the Rio games recommended action against those who misappropriated millions of dollar.
To date, senior officials have been charged with stealing more than $250,000 meant for housing and supplies for the country’s athletes in Brazil. Despite the scandal, Kenyan athletes won six gold medals, six silvers and a bronze.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 14.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins two silver medals
- 14.09.2016Baku Chess Olympiad closes with solemn ceremony
- 13.09.2016USA and China take gold in Baku Chess Olympiad
- 13.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani runner wins Paralympic bronze
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins it's 5th medal
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female athlete wins silver medal of Paralympics - UPDATED
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijan won another medal at Paralympics
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani judo fighter wins gold at Paralympic Games
- 08.09.2016Azerbaijani judoka advances to final in Paralympics in Rio
- 08.09.2016Paralympics kicks off in Rio
- 07.09.2016Azerbaijan rejects Russian paralympians’ licenses
- 03.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani flag was waved 18 times in Rio"
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev met with athletes who competed in 31st Summer Olympic Games
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president attended 42nd Chess Olympiad opening ceremony - UPDATED
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijan specifies rewards for athletes and coaches with high results from Rio Olympics
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president awards members of national Olympic team
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isayev awarded special Olympic stipend
- 24.08.2016Team Azerbaijan return home from Rio Olympics
- 21.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isaev wins gold medal - UPDATED
- 21.08.2016Rio-2016: Brazil beat Germany on penalties in men's football final
- 21.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani freestyle wrestler wins bronze
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions