Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
The International Paralympic Committee said Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, suffered cardiac arrest after the incident on a "mountainous stretch" of circuit.
"The ambulance then diverted to the nearby Unimed Rio Hospital in Barra where he passed away soon after arrival," a statement added.
Golbarnezhad also competed at the London Paralympics in 2012.
An investigation into the circumstances of the accident has been launched.
"We're looking to gather as much information as we can and as quickly as possible - it should take a matter of days," said Piers Jones, sports director of cycling's governing body UCI.
The Iranian flag has been lowered to half-mast in the Paralympic Village and a period of silence will be observed during Sunday's closing ceremony.
Masoud Ashrafi, the secretary general of Iran's National Paralympic Committee, said they have requested the body of Golbarnezhad is flown back to Iran on Sunday. The Committee also asked for a full report of the incident from the IPC.
He added: "He had been cycling for 12 years and he was our best cyclist. He was married and has a wife and one son.
"He was the kind of man who was a family man. He loved his family."
Golbarnezhad's death is the first in-competition fatality at a summer/winter Olympics or Paralympics since Danish cyclist Knud Enemark Jensen in the 100km team time trial at the 1960 Rome Games.
Related news releases
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 14.09.2016Baku Chess Olympiad closes with solemn ceremony
- 13.09.2016USA and China take gold in Baku Chess Olympiad
- 13.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani runner wins Paralympic bronze
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins it's 5th medal
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female athlete wins silver medal of Paralympics - UPDATED
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijan won another medal at Paralympics
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani judo fighter wins gold at Paralympic Games
- 08.09.2016Azerbaijani judoka advances to final in Paralympics in Rio
- 08.09.2016Paralympics kicks off in Rio
- 07.09.2016Azerbaijan rejects Russian paralympians’ licenses
- 03.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani flag was waved 18 times in Rio"
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev met with athletes who competed in 31st Summer Olympic Games
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president attended 42nd Chess Olympiad opening ceremony - UPDATED
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijan specifies rewards for athletes and coaches with high results from Rio Olympics
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president awards members of national Olympic team
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isayev awarded special Olympic stipend
- 24.08.2016Team Azerbaijan return home from Rio Olympics
- 21.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isaev wins gold medal - UPDATED
- 21.08.2016Rio-2016: Brazil beat Germany on penalties in men's football final
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 14.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins two silver medals