IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
The Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to extend provisional measures in regard to Russia over the recent doping scandals for an indefinite period, according to the board’s declaration on Wednesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
After a conference call by its Executive Board on July 24, the IOC urged international federations for winter sports events to suspend preparations for major competitions in Russia. The motion was initially in effect until December 31, 2016, but following today’s meeting of the Executive Board in Switzerland’s Lausanne it was extended for an indefinite period.
"The IOC Executive Board has further decided to extend the provisional measures taken on 19 July 2016 against Russia until further notice," the declaration said.
The statement from the IOC Executive Board reiterated that two commissions were established on July 19 to investigate doping allegations against Russia.
"An Inquiry Commission, under the chairmanship of Samuel Schmid, is addressing the alleged government-sponsored system of doping, in particular with regard to the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014."
"A Disciplinary Commission, under the chairmanship of Denis Oswald, is addressing the question of doping and manipulation of samples concerning the Russian athletes participating in the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014. In the context of this Disciplinary Commission, all the samples of all Russian athletes participating in Sochi will be re-analyzed," according to the statement.
The IOC also called on both commissions to reinvigorate their contact with Canadian law professor, Richard McLaren, and establish good cooperation with him.
"Once the above-mentioned process is complete, the IOC Executive Board will take all the appropriate measures and sanctions in the context of the Olympic Games, such as disqualification of athletes from competition at the Olympic Games, and the exclusion of implicated officials, entourage or government officials from the Olympic Games," the IOC Executive Board stated.
"Outside the Olympic Games, the International Federations have the authority for any consequential sanctions of athletes and entourage from other international competitions, and potentially the suspension of national federations," the statement added.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018The Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018 starts
- 28.02.2018Russia's Olympic ban lifted following doping violations
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva announced Sports Organizer of Year
- 23.12.2017Olympic Committee bans 11 Russian athletes for life
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of sports in Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani president: No sports success possible without children’s sports
- 18.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is a strong sporting nation
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani athletes who achieved high results in 2017
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2017
- 12.12.2017ROC’s Assembly stands for Russian athletes’ participation in Winter Olympics
- 10.12.2017OCR head hopes Russian athletes’ Olympic kits to feature national details
- 06.12.2017IOC president denies political reasons behind decision to bar Russia from 2018 Games
- 06.12.2017Russian athletes may carry national flag at 2018 Olympics closing if IOC demands met
- 05.12.2017Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Absheron Olympic Sport Complex - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months