IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
The Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to extend provisional measures in regard to Russia over the recent doping scandals for an indefinite period, according to the board’s declaration on Wednesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
After a conference call by its Executive Board on July 24, the IOC urged international federations for winter sports events to suspend preparations for major competitions in Russia. The motion was initially in effect until December 31, 2016, but following today’s meeting of the Executive Board in Switzerland’s Lausanne it was extended for an indefinite period.
"The IOC Executive Board has further decided to extend the provisional measures taken on 19 July 2016 against Russia until further notice," the declaration said.
The statement from the IOC Executive Board reiterated that two commissions were established on July 19 to investigate doping allegations against Russia.
"An Inquiry Commission, under the chairmanship of Samuel Schmid, is addressing the alleged government-sponsored system of doping, in particular with regard to the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014."
"A Disciplinary Commission, under the chairmanship of Denis Oswald, is addressing the question of doping and manipulation of samples concerning the Russian athletes participating in the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014. In the context of this Disciplinary Commission, all the samples of all Russian athletes participating in Sochi will be re-analyzed," according to the statement.
The IOC also called on both commissions to reinvigorate their contact with Canadian law professor, Richard McLaren, and establish good cooperation with him.
"Once the above-mentioned process is complete, the IOC Executive Board will take all the appropriate measures and sanctions in the context of the Olympic Games, such as disqualification of athletes from competition at the Olympic Games, and the exclusion of implicated officials, entourage or government officials from the Olympic Games," the IOC Executive Board stated.
"Outside the Olympic Games, the International Federations have the authority for any consequential sanctions of athletes and entourage from other international competitions, and potentially the suspension of national federations," the statement added.
Related news releases
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 14.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins two silver medals
- 14.09.2016Baku Chess Olympiad closes with solemn ceremony
- 13.09.2016USA and China take gold in Baku Chess Olympiad
- 13.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani runner wins Paralympic bronze
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins it's 5th medal
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female athlete wins silver medal of Paralympics - UPDATED
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijan won another medal at Paralympics
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani judo fighter wins gold at Paralympic Games
- 08.09.2016Azerbaijani judoka advances to final in Paralympics in Rio
- 08.09.2016Paralympics kicks off in Rio
- 07.09.2016Azerbaijan rejects Russian paralympians’ licenses
- 03.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani flag was waved 18 times in Rio"
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev met with athletes who competed in 31st Summer Olympic Games
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president attended 42nd Chess Olympiad opening ceremony - UPDATED
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijan specifies rewards for athletes and coaches with high results from Rio Olympics
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani president awards members of national Olympic team
- 01.09.2016Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isayev awarded special Olympic stipend
- 24.08.2016Team Azerbaijan return home from Rio Olympics
- 21.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter Radik Isaev wins gold medal - UPDATED
- 21.08.2016Rio-2016: Brazil beat Germany on penalties in men's football final
- 21.08.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani freestyle wrestler wins bronze
- 20.08.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female taekwondo fighter reaches semifinal in Rio Olympics
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months