Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
State and public organizations in Azerbaijan are actively involved in solving everyday problems of athletes, said President of Azerbaijan, President of the National Olympic Committee Ilham Aliyev.
“According to annual results, more than twenty prominent athletes are provided by the state with apartments, awards, and stipends every year. That is, we are constantly trying to support our athletes because today sport has become a very important social factor in Azerbaijan,” President Aliyev said addressing a solemn ceremony marking the 25th jubilee of the Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee (NOC), APA reported.
"Being an athlete is a very honorable profession. Respect for athletes is great in society. I must also point out that our athletes behave decently in sport and in their everyday life,” he said.
According to the president, athletes, their successes, as well as value and support given to them by the state, of course, attract children to sports.
“Children also realize that if they become a great success in sports, then both the people and the state will appreciate them. Thus sport among teenagers and children is also successfully developing in Azerbaijan," he said.
The head of state stressed that there are good conditions for sports in all districts of Azerbaijan.
"The successful performance of our champions and their victories attract young people and children to sports. Every time our athletes raise our flag in international competitions, every patriotic Azerbaijani experiences a sense of pride,” said the president expressing gratitude to the Azerbaijani athletes for their victories and for giving the joy of victory to the people.
“At the end of my speech, I would also like to touch on one issue. Today, we are accustomed to Azerbaijan’s sports successes. Some believe that it should be so. We should look back to the past, compare and see that if Azerbaijan, which is a relatively small country, ranks 14th in the Rio Olympics, this is indeed a historic event. We have always had strong athletes. In Soviet times, our athletes decently represented us in the USRR national teams. But, of course, today’s achievements are incomparably different from the previous ones,” he added.
The president recalled that a few days ago, the world's leading economic structure, the Davos World Economic Forum announced the competitiveness index of the economies of the countries.
“Over the year, Azerbaijan has risen by 2 steps and ranked 35th, the first in the CIS. That is, the economies of some 140 countries were analyzed. Among them, Azerbaijan – a young independent state – ranks 35th. Due to what it became possible? I became possible due to the thoughtful policy and the people-power unity, which is based on our independence. Independence is our greatest happiness and wealth. Most of the medal winners who glorify the country nowadays were born and raised in the period of independence,” he said.
Azerbaijan will continue to develop successfully in the path of independence, added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 14.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins two silver medals
- 14.09.2016Baku Chess Olympiad closes with solemn ceremony
- 13.09.2016USA and China take gold in Baku Chess Olympiad
- 13.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani runner wins Paralympic bronze
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins it's 5th medal
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female athlete wins silver medal of Paralympics - UPDATED
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijan won another medal at Paralympics
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani judo fighter wins gold at Paralympic Games
- 08.09.2016Azerbaijani judoka advances to final in Paralympics in Rio
- 08.09.2016Paralympics kicks off in Rio
- 07.09.2016Azerbaijan rejects Russian paralympians’ licenses
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED