Ilham Aliyev: Funds allocated for sports development in Azerbaijan yielding results
The funds allocated for sports development and infrastructure projects in both Azerbaijan’s districts and Baku have been yielding results in recent years, said President of Azerbaijan, President of the National Olympic Committee Ilham Aliyev.
The Olympic Movement and sport in Azerbaijan are developing successfully and rapidly, President Aliyev said addressing a solemn ceremony marking the 25th jubilee of the Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee (NOC), APA reported.
"Azerbaijan is known as a sporting country in the world. Sport is a state policy in Azerbaijan. While pursuing its policy in this direction, the state has achieved a thorough development in sport,” he said.
The head of state said that all relevant bodies, including the National Olympic Committee, the Ministry of Youth and Sports, sports communities, federations and clubs pursue the same goal – to develop sports in Azerbaijan, achieve more sport popularity, and ensure Azerbaijani athletes give us joy.
“Thanks to this co-operation and the coordination between all structures responsible for sport, Azerbaijan has achieved great success in the field of sports in the international arena,” President Aliyev said. “Of course, first of all, we had to create conditions for sports, and numerous modern Olympic sports facilities have been built and put into operation in Azerbaijan thanks to state investments in this direction. It is enough to mention that about 50 modern Olympic venues have been built in Azerbaijan’s districts.”
He noted that today Baku has the most modern sports infrastructure.
“Sports facilities built in previous years have been overhauled, and several large stadiums and gyms have been built in recent years. Among them, of course, I have to mention the Olympic Stadium with a capacity of about 70,000 spectators,” the president said.
“The National Gymnastics Arena, the Water Sports Palace and the Baku Shooting Center are modern sports facilities that require large investments. At the same time, there is a sports town in Baku. In other words, the funds allocated for sports development and infrastructure projects in both Azerbaijan’s districts and Baku have been yielding results in recent years,” he added.
The president reminded that Azerbaijan, for the first time as an independent country, took part in the Olympic Games in 1996 and won only one medal.
“Twenty years later, at the Rio Olympic Games, Azerbaijani athletes won 18 medals. For the number of medals, the Azerbaijani team ranked 14th in the standings. This is the most beautiful indicator of the development of sports in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The president noted that Azerbaijani athletes achieve great success in European and world championships.
“This year our two athletes became three-time world champions in freestyle wrestling and boxing. This is also a historic achievement. In other words, today Azerbaijan is one of those countries with a very strong sports potential. We take a comprehensive approach to the issue of infrastructure and the training of athletes. Once again I want to note that all relevant structures are striving for the same goal, and that is why we were able to make these achievements in sport,” he added.
Related news releases
- 13.06.2017Ramil Gasimov honored with special Olympic stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan can bid to host Summer Olympics 2028
- 03.05.2017Tour d'Azerbaidjan bicycle race starts, traffic in five directions to be restricted temporarily
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan: visa-free entry for Islamic Games participants and journalists
- 06.04.2017Rivals of Azerbaijan national teams at the IV Islamic solidarity games determined
- 31.03.2017Azerbaijan lifts visa requirement for persons involved in organizing 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 14.03.2017Prosecutors to deal with any reported suspicion of manipulation in sports competitions
- 24.01.2017Ecclestone replaced as Formula One boss: report
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always takes principled position on any matter
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku 2015 – another indication of development of Azerbaijani sports
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known as sports country worldwide
- 23.12.2016Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony dedicated to sport results of 2016 - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016IOC extends doping-related sanctions against Russia
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev re-elected president of National Olympic Committee
- 01.12.2016FIA confirms 20-race F1 2017 calendar, no Baku/Le Mans clash
- 24.11.2016128 Nigerian policemen killed in 3 months
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has rich experience in organizing int’l events - UPDATED
- 22.11.2016Kenyan Olympic official arrested over theft of Rio kits
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan had opportunity to bid for Olympic Games
- 21.10.2016Minsk set to host 2019 European Games
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani athletes face unfair decisions in some competitions
- 23.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev meets with Azerbaijani Paralympians
- 21.09.2016From Baku to Rio with the love of medal
- 18.09.2016Rio 2016: China claim 4x100m medley 34 points gold-
- 18.09.2016Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash in Rio Paralympics 2016
- 18.09.2016Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal Paralympic Games in Rio
- 15.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani swimmer wins silver medal of the Paralympic Games
- 14.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins two silver medals
- 14.09.2016Baku Chess Olympiad closes with solemn ceremony
- 13.09.2016USA and China take gold in Baku Chess Olympiad
- 13.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani runner wins Paralympic bronze
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijani Paralympic team wins it's 5th medal
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani female athlete wins silver medal of Paralympics - UPDATED
- 10.09.2016Rio 2016: Azerbaijan won another medal at Paralympics
- 10.09.2016Rio-2016: Azerbaijani judo fighter wins gold at Paralympic Games
- 08.09.2016Azerbaijani judoka advances to final in Paralympics in Rio
- 08.09.2016Paralympics kicks off in Rio
- 07.09.2016Azerbaijan rejects Russian paralympians’ licenses
- 03.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani flag was waved 18 times in Rio"
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev met with athletes who competed in 31st Summer Olympic Games
- 29.09.2017President: Holding int’l competitions in Azerbaijan has become a tradition
- 29.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Sports has turned into important social factor in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev presented with highest award of Int’l Judo Federation - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receive representatives of international sports organizations
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves additional funding for construction of Olympic Sports Complex in Lankaran