First Lady of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva awarded EOC Order of Merit
Baku-APA. European Olympic Committees (EOC) President Patrick Hickey today awarded the EOC Order of Merit to the First Lady of Azerbaijan, Mehriban Aliyeva, at IOC Headquarters in Lausanne in recognition of her work as Chair of the Organising Committee for the inaugural European Games, held in June last year in Azerbaijan’s capital city Baku, APA reports.
The Order of Merit is the highest distinction the EOC can award and the ceremony – which is the EOC’s last gathering at the current IOC Headquarters – provided an illustrious curtain raiser to the first EOC Executive Committee meeting of 2016.
EOC President Patrick Hickey, who is also an IOC Executive Board member, said:
“Mehriban Aliyeva has played a crucial role in helping the EOC achieve its long-held dream of hosting our own continental Games. Her leadership as head of the Organising Committee was inspired and decisive – an approach which was vital to Azerbaijan’s delivery of the Games in only 30 months.
“On behalf of the European Olympic family, I want to thank Mehriban Aliyeva, and His Excellency President Ilham Aliyev, for delivering the first ever European Games for Azerbaijan and for Europe. Baku 2015 has provided an excellent blueprint for future editions of the European Games”.
Addressing the event, First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva said: “I would like to express my gratitude to you for appreciating my activities and for your valuable efforts to ensure the successful delivery of the Baku 2015 First European Games.”
Following the ceremony, the EOC Executive Committee held its first meeting of 2016 at ANOC Headquarters. During the course of the meeting, the Executive Committee received reports from the Secretary General, the Treasurer, the EU Office in Brussels, the organisers of the next European Youth Olympic Festivals, the head of Olympic Culture and Education Commission, as well as updates around the EOC Seminar in Tarragona, Spain, taking place from 20-21 May this year.
Then, a documentary on the European Games was demonstrated.
The event was also attended by Azerbaijan`s Youth and Sports Minister Azad Rahimov, Vice-president of the National Olympic Committee Chingiz Huseynzade and Vice-president of the Gymnastics Federation Altay Hasanov.
- 24.11.2010Azerbaijan and Spain to sign Memorandum of sports cooperation
- 22.09.201018th Council of Europe Informal Conference of Ministers responsible for Sport wrapped up in Baku
- 30.08.2010Azerbaijani President receives athletes and experts who participated in Singapore Youth Olympic Games
- 23.05.2010Azerbaijani fencer wins gold at international tournament
- 02.04.2010Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev receives President of International Fencing Federation
- 10.12.2009President of Azerbaijan receives President of International Boxing Association
- 15.10.2009President of Azerbaijan attend the opening ceremony of Hovsan Olympic Center
- 12.11.2008Baku hosts 9th Conference of International Firefighting and Lifesaving Sport Federation
- 03.09.2008SOCAR builds 65000-seat stadium
- 02.09.2008Youth and sports minister Azad Rahimov to hold press conference tomorrow
- 28.08.2008Ismayıl Ismayılov says Nizami Pashayev failed to score Olympic medal for leg injury
- 30.07.2008Azeri sportsman to get AZN 600,000 award for Beijing Olympics win
- 18.07.2008AzTV Sports wins contest
- 18.07.2008AzTV Sport TV Channel expected to function within 2-3 months - UPDATED
- 09.07.2008Azerbaijani President issues a decree to amend some decrees on state property privatization
- 19.06.2016Nico Rosberg wins F1 European Grand Prix in Baku
- 19.06.2016Azerbaijani president, his spouse present F1 trophies to European GP winners
- 10.12.2017Overtaking at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2017 voted as the best pass of the season
- 09.06.20112012 London Olympics Torch Design Revealed
- 14.02.2011President Ilham Aliyev: “Inter” club cheered the Azerbaijani people with the great victory over the Armenian team
- 29.11.2010Azerbaijan and Spain sign Memorandum of Cooperation on sport - PHOTO