Boxer Hector Camacho dies after life support is turned off
The former world champion was clinically brain dead after being shot in the head in a drive-by shooting near the capital, San Juan, on Tuesday.
The boxer, who was 50, fought some of the great names of boxing during a three-decade career.
They included Oscar de la Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard and Felix Trinidad.
Camacho was being treated at the Rio Piedras medical centre in San Juan.
The centre's director Ernesto Torres told reporters that the former boxer went into cardiac arrest in the early hours of Saturday morning, was taken off life support and died shortly after.
Earlier Camacho's mother Maria Matias said she wanted doctors to remove her son from life support.
His eldest son, Hector Jr, had indicated he wanted to keep his father alive, but his mother had the final say.
Camacho was shot in the head on Tuesday while sitting in a car outside a bar in his home city of Bayamon, outside the capital San Juan.
His friend Adrian Mojica Moreno was killed in the attack. Police said the car contained bags of cocaine at the time of the shooting, but said they did not know of any motives behind the attack.
Camacho was known for his flamboyant style and skill in the ring.
He was born in Puerto Rico, but grew up in New York where he made his professional debut in 1980.
He went on to win four world titles across three weight divisions, beginning with the WBC super featherweight title in 1983.
His last fight was an attempted comeback against Saul Duran in 2010, which he lost.
By then he had become known for his troubled personal life and run-ins with the police.
Camacho was sentenced to seven years in prison for burglary in 2007, though the sentence was later suspended.
He was found in possession of drugs and was the subject of a restraining order brought by his ex-wife, who complained of domestic abuse.
At the time of his death he held a career record of 79 wins, 6 losses and three draws, with 38 knockouts.
Related news releases
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijan becomes member of World Boxing Council
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives participants of 55th Convention of World Boxing Council
- 05.09.2017Mahammadrasul Majidov and Haji Aliyev to receive personal stipend of Azerbaijani President
- 03.09.2017Azerbaijan’s Majidov crowned world boxing champion for the third time
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijani wrestler becomes world champion
- 17.08.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov reappointed as World Taekwondo VP
- 06.05.2017Azerbaijani wrestlers won two more medals in European Championship
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani MMA fighter wins the "Fights Night Global 59" tournament in Russia
- 18.01.2017Baku schoolboy defeats Armenian peer by 10 points to nil
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijan Taekwondo Federation named ‘Association of the Year’
- 11.11.2016Azerbaijani judoka became the European champion
- 04.06.2016Boxing great Muhammad Ali near death in Arizona hospital: source
- 21.05.2016Azerbaijani taekwondo fighter wins silver at European championship
- 16.04.2016Azerbaijani athelete defeats Armenian wrestler, wins license for Rio 2016
- 16.04.2016Azerbaijani boxer wins gold medal
- 11.03.2016Azerbaijani wrestler wins gold medal of 2016 European Wrestling Championships
- 23.02.2015President Ilham Aliyev receives members of national Greco-Roman wrestling team who won World Cup
- 20.02.2015Azerbaijan wins their first ever Greco-Roman World Cup
- 10.08.2014Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and Armenia attend international sambo tournament - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED
- 10.05.2014Azerbaijan and Armenia to compete in same group for 2014 Greco-Roman World Cup
- 19.04.2014“NKR” team not registered for wresting tournament in Georgia
- 05.04.2014Azerbaijani wrestler becomes European champion defeating Armenian
- 04.04.2012President of Azerbaijan Taekwondo Federation Kemaleddin Heydarov attends WTF Executive Committee meeting
- 12.03.2012Central Sports Army Club member won European Wrestling Championship
- 19.02.2012Klitschko Defeats Chisora, Defends WBC Belt
- 28.01.201223 Azerbaijani judoists take part in World Cup Tournament
- 08.07.2011Azerbaijani President receives President of International Wrestling Federation
- 31.01.2011Kemaleddin Heydarov: “We purpose to win license for London Olympic Games in all categories”
- 31.01.2011Kemaleddin Heydarov: “Azerbaijan has hosted many prestigious competitions in recent years”
- 31.01.2011AIBA and Azerbaijan Boxing Federation sign agreement- PHOTOSESSION
- 18.01.2011All eyes on Nadal as he chases four in a row
- 18.01.2011Federer fireworks warm up Melbourne Park
- 10.12.2010Heavyweight boxing champion Klitschko cancels title defense
- 16.11.2010Haye: I will fight Klitschko before I quit
- 17.10.2010Vitali Klitschko defends title by defeating U.S. challenger
- 12.09.2010Khetag Gazyumov becomes world champion
- 07.09.2010Azerbaijanii wrestler claims World Crown
- 30.05.2010Vitali Klitschko defends WBC heavyweight title
- 21.05.2010Azerbaijani weightlifter claims European Crown
- 16.05.2010Azerbaijan claim European taekwondo gold
- 06.10.2013Klitschko Crushes Povetkin to Defend World Titles
- 07.11.2013Vitali Klitschko Gets Boxing Title Defense Ultimatum – Report
- 09.02.2014Baku Fires defeated Polish team Hussars Poland - PHOTOSESSION
- 21.11.2012Azerbaijani sportsmen wins international tournament in Russia
- 30.09.2012Russia’s Povetkin Retains WBA Title With Knockout
- 19.04.2012Next Azerbaijani boxers gets license to London Olympics