President Ilham Aliyev attends Chess Olympiad's 1st round opening
Baku – APA. The first round of the 42nd Chess Olympiad started at Baku Crystal Hall on September 2.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev attended the opening of the first round.
The head of state first met with President of World Chess Federation (FIDE) Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.
The 42nd Olympiad in Baku will come down in history with a record-breaking participation of teams representing 175 countries – a total of 181 men’s and 142 women’s teams will compete in this sporting event. 193 arbiters will officiate at the Olympiad, including 30 Azerbaijani arbiters.
President Aliyev made first move (D2-D4) of the game between member of Azerbaijan men’s team Shahriyar Mammadyarov and Zimbabwean player Rodwell Makoto.
The host country Azerbaijan is represented by three teams in both men’s and women’s events.
In the men’s event, Azerbaijan 1 will face Zimbabwe, Azerbaijan 2 will take on Mozambique, while Azerbaijan 3 will clash with Papua New Guinea. In the women’s event, Azerbaijan 1 will lock horns with Nicaragua, Azerbaijan 2 with Japan and Azerbaijan 3 with Lesotho.
The head of state toured the competition venue, and watched the games.
Ilham Aliyev made first move (E2-E4) of the game between Russian female player Alexandra Kosteniuk and Scottish Arakhamia-Grant.
The Azerbaijani president also watched the games between disabled players.
President Aliyev then viewed the conditions created at the venue. Over 500 volunteers are engaged in all aspects of the Olympiad, both during the preparatory phase and the event itself.
More than 250 local and foreign media representatives are covering the Chess Olympiad.
The 11-round event concludes on September 13th. In parallel with the Olympiad, Baku will also host the 87th Congress of FIDE and meetings of the General Assembly.
- 03.09.2014Baku 2015 European Games hosts fourth Coordination Commission as new headquarters are officially opened
- 11.01.2014Famous Azerbaijani chess player dies
- 20.11.2013Azerbaijani President receives members of national men’s chess team, who won European championship, and specialists
- 15.07.2013Kemaleddin Heydarov elected as Vice-President of World Taekwondo Federation
- 14.02.2013Azerbaijan establishes Organizing Committee for holding World Chess Cup 2015 and World Chess Olympiad 2016
- 12.12.2012Azerbaijani boxer defeated Armenian sportsman in European Championship
- 31.08.2012Azerbaijani judoist wins gold medal in XIV Paralympics
- 28.01.2012Teymur Rajabov wins in duel meet of Azerbaijani grand masters in Wijk-aan-Zee
- 08.11.2011Famous boxer Joe Frazier dies
- 08.10.2011Azerbaijani boxer became world champion
- 28.09.2011AIBA: “Amendment system is a standard experience in the international sport”
- 24.09.2011AIBA: “AIBA is not aware of any credible evidence to suggest that the allegation that WSB’s Chief Operating Officer, Mr Ivan Khodabakhsh, promised the award of two gold medals in return for payment is true”
- 06.09.2011Azerbaijani chess players win first games of World Cup’s 1/8-finals
- 29.06.2011I’m not finished, insists defeated Federer
- 29.06.2011Central court of Baku Tennis Academy opened
- 21.06.2011Nadal eases past journeyman Russell at Wimbledon
- 23.04.2011Nadal closes on 500th career victory
- 02.04.2011Nadal sets up Federer semi showdown; Sharapova reaches final
- 27.01.2011Ferrer ends Nadal’s bid for fourth consecutive grand slam title
- 02.11.2010Suleyman Mikayilov elected AIBA Executive Committee member - PHOTOSESSION
- 05.07.2010Chess champion Bobby Fischer’s body exhumed
- 27.03.2010Former world chess champion Smyslov dies at 89
- 05.01.2010Azerbaijani Men’s Chess Team wins over Armenia in a World Chess Cup
- 12.10.2009International chess tournament starts in Gandja
- 21.04.2009“Oscar” prize to be brought to Baku for the first time!
- 05.03.2009Azerbaijani chess player to compete in FIDE Grand Prix
- 15.09.2008Radjabov earns 40 thousand euro
- 06.09.2008Teimour Radjabov beaten by Magnus Carlsen in Grand Slam Masters
- 05.09.2008Teimour Radjabov scores no win in three games
- 02.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to face Veselin Topalov in Spanish super tournament
- 01.09.2008Elchin Zeynalov: Our canoe rower could have scored Beijing gold with results in World Cup
- 01.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to join super tournament in Spain
- 01.09.2008Mongolian judo wrestler gets $3m, 16 apartments, 9 cars and 5 kg gold
- 01.09.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov fails in Tal memorial blitz contest
- 01.09.2008Azeri player Ilaha Gadimova fails in world championship
- 29.08.2008Vassily Ivanchuk: I was lucky in game against Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
- 28.08.2008Azeri chess player Ilaha Kadimova to join world championship tomorrow
- 28.08.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov ranks 9th in Tal memorial
- 27.08.2008Agayar Akhundzade: Some figures wanted our failure in Beijing
- 27.08.2008Olympic medallist Fuad Aslanov explains low results in Azeri boxing with coach replacements
- 01.12.2016Carlsen wins over Karjakin, retains World Champion title
- 01.10.2017Evander Holyfield: I am given warm welcome in Baku
- 31.08.2016Ambassador Cekuta meets with US chess team, Azerbaijani chess players
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president sends letter to Chess Olympiad participants
- 22.10.2015Chess grandmaster Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years