Baku 2015 European Games hosts fourth Coordination Commission as new headquarters are officially opened
Baku – APA. Baku 2015 European Games Operations Committee (BEGOC) today hosts its fourth European Olympic Committees (EOC) Coordination Commission ahead of next year’s inaugural event.
Members of the EOC Coordination Commission team will spend two days in Baku visiting competition venues for next year’s European Games and receiving updates from BEGOC directorates, APA reports.
It will be the EOC’s first opportunity to see the new Baku 2015 branding displayed across the host city, and hear details about the recently updated sports programme.
Today, Mr Azad Rahimov, Azerbaijan’s Minister of Youth and Sport and BEGOC Chief Executive Officer, also formally declared open the new Baku 2015 headquarters in a ribbon-cutting ceremony with the Chairman of the EOC Coordination Commission, Spyros Capralos, and members of the Commission present.
Also in attendance were four Azerbaijani Olympic champions who will be Ambassadors for Baku 2015: Greco-Roman wrestler Farid Mansurov who won gold at Athens 2004; Freestyle wrestlers Namig Abdullayev and Togrul Askerov who won gold at Sydney 2000 and London 2012 respectively; and shooter Zemfira Meftakhatdinova who won Skeet gold at Sydney 2000.
The Commission was officially welcomed to Baku by Minister Rahimov, who said: “Once more, it is an honour to host the EOC Coordination Commission. The Azerbaijan government is fully committed to making the first European Games a success and a great experience for the elite athletes of Europe.
“These visits are extremely important milestones on the road to the inaugural European Games and we are looking forward to demonstrating our continued progress across all areas of the organisation over the next two days.
“In recent months, we have made several important and significant steps towards delivery of an event that will unite Europe in a unique celebration of sport.”
Mr Spyros Capralos added: “We are delighted to be back in Baku for the penultimate EOC Coordination Commission. In the four months since we last visited, BEGOC has built up real momentum across all areas of Baku 2015 preparations, especially in commercial sponsorships and communications – two areas for improvement which the Commission identified in April.
“There are now only 282 days to go until the Opening Ceremony so this meeting between the EOC and BEGOC is crucial to optimising the time left to prepare for the Games.
“The entire Commission is really looking forward to hearing about the latest progress and plans in more detail over the next two days.”
The new BEGOC headquarters are close to the Baku Boulevard, placing the team at the heart of the city and featuring large open-plan spaces and a highly advanced technology environment, which will ensure the next step in the organisation’s development.
The building has a total capacity of 1,057 people and is approximately 11,000 square metres in size. It features an auditorium with capacity to accommodate 250 people, three kitchenettes and several meeting rooms per floor, shower facilities and a prayer room.
The BEGOC workforce currently stands at a total of 769 employees across 20 directorates. Of this total, 468 are Azerbaijani nationals, with the remaining 301 international employees coming from 37 different countries.
Baku 2015 is the first ever European Games, an exciting and innovative multi-sport event for the continent which will take place from 12 – 28 June 2015.
There will be a total of 20 sports at Baku 2015: 16 Olympic sports and four non-Olympic sports. More than 6,000 athletes from across Europe will be representing their nations over 17 days of competition.
Nine of the sports will offer qualification opportunities for the Rio Summer Olympic Games in 2016. Those sports include Archery, Athletics, Cycling, Shooting, Swimming, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Triathlon and Volleyball.
Baku was awarded the Games by the European Olympic Committees (EOC) in December 2012. The Baku European Games Operations Committee (BEGOC) will organise and run the Games in co-operation with the EOC.
Related news releases
- 01.10.2017Evander Holyfield: I am given warm welcome in Baku
- 01.12.2016Carlsen wins over Karjakin, retains World Champion title
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attends Chess Olympiad's 1st round opening
- 14.02.2013Azerbaijan establishes Organizing Committee for holding World Chess Cup 2015 and World Chess Olympiad 2016
- 12.12.2012Azerbaijani boxer defeated Armenian sportsman in European Championship
- 31.08.2012Azerbaijani judoist wins gold medal in XIV Paralympics
- 28.01.2012Teymur Rajabov wins in duel meet of Azerbaijani grand masters in Wijk-aan-Zee
- 08.11.2011Famous boxer Joe Frazier dies
- 08.10.2011Azerbaijani boxer became world champion
- 28.09.2011AIBA: “Amendment system is a standard experience in the international sport”
- 24.09.2011AIBA: “AIBA is not aware of any credible evidence to suggest that the allegation that WSB’s Chief Operating Officer, Mr Ivan Khodabakhsh, promised the award of two gold medals in return for payment is true”
- 06.09.2011Azerbaijani chess players win first games of World Cup’s 1/8-finals
- 29.06.2011I’m not finished, insists defeated Federer
- 29.06.2011Central court of Baku Tennis Academy opened
- 21.06.2011Nadal eases past journeyman Russell at Wimbledon
- 23.04.2011Nadal closes on 500th career victory
- 02.04.2011Nadal sets up Federer semi showdown; Sharapova reaches final
- 27.01.2011Ferrer ends Nadal’s bid for fourth consecutive grand slam title
- 02.11.2010Suleyman Mikayilov elected AIBA Executive Committee member - PHOTOSESSION
- 05.07.2010Chess champion Bobby Fischer’s body exhumed
- 27.03.2010Former world chess champion Smyslov dies at 89
- 05.01.2010Azerbaijani Men’s Chess Team wins over Armenia in a World Chess Cup
- 12.10.2009International chess tournament starts in Gandja
- 21.04.2009“Oscar” prize to be brought to Baku for the first time!
- 05.03.2009Azerbaijani chess player to compete in FIDE Grand Prix
- 15.09.2008Radjabov earns 40 thousand euro
- 06.09.2008Teimour Radjabov beaten by Magnus Carlsen in Grand Slam Masters
- 05.09.2008Teimour Radjabov scores no win in three games
- 02.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to face Veselin Topalov in Spanish super tournament
- 01.09.2008Elchin Zeynalov: Our canoe rower could have scored Beijing gold with results in World Cup
- 01.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to join super tournament in Spain
- 01.09.2008Mongolian judo wrestler gets $3m, 16 apartments, 9 cars and 5 kg gold
- 01.09.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov fails in Tal memorial blitz contest
- 01.09.2008Azeri player Ilaha Gadimova fails in world championship
- 29.08.2008Vassily Ivanchuk: I was lucky in game against Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
- 28.08.2008Azeri chess player Ilaha Kadimova to join world championship tomorrow
- 28.08.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov ranks 9th in Tal memorial
- 27.08.2008Agayar Akhundzade: Some figures wanted our failure in Beijing
- 27.08.2008Olympic medallist Fuad Aslanov explains low results in Azeri boxing with coach replacements
- 27.08.2008Niyameddin Pashayev expected Rashad to score Olympic medal
- 22.10.2015Chess grandmaster Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president sends letter to Chess Olympiad participants
- 31.08.2016Ambassador Cekuta meets with US chess team, Azerbaijani chess players
- 11.01.2014Famous Azerbaijani chess player dies
- 20.11.2013Azerbaijani President receives members of national men’s chess team, who won European championship, and specialists
- 15.07.2013Kemaleddin Heydarov elected as Vice-President of World Taekwondo Federation