Azerbaijani President receives members of national men’s chess team, who won European championship, and specialists
Congratulating the chess players and specialists on the victory, President Ilham Aliyev said that this win will have its own place in the European chess history.
The Head of State said national leader Heydar Aliyev established strong chess traditions in 1970s, and stimulated the development of chess in Azerbaijan’s regions.
The Azerbaijani President noted that in the years of independence this tradition was restored and developed, with state-of-the-art chess schools put into operation in the regions.
Underlining Azerbaijan’s victories in high-profile international tournaments, President Ilham Aliyev stressed the importance of the Azerbaijani national team’s becoming the European champions for the second time. The Azerbaijani President said that this victory is an important contribution to strengthening the country’s international image. The Head of State noted that the decision to hold the next chess Olympiad in Azerbaijan was a result of the country’s achievements in sports.
European champion Shahriyar Mammadyarov hailed the team’s winning two golds, a silver and a bronze medal in the last four European championships as a result of purposeful state policy. Mammadyarov also said that he would do his best to “represent Azerbaijan duly in international tournaments”.
Vice-President of the Azerbaijan Chess Federation Faig Hasanov thanked the President on behalf of the chess players and specialists for the attention.
He said that complex work is done to ensure development of chess in all regions of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 01.10.2017Evander Holyfield: I am given warm welcome in Baku
- 01.12.2016Carlsen wins over Karjakin, retains World Champion title
- 02.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attends Chess Olympiad's 1st round opening
- 31.08.2016Ambassador Cekuta meets with US chess team, Azerbaijani chess players
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president sends letter to Chess Olympiad participants
- 31.08.2012Azerbaijani judoist wins gold medal in XIV Paralympics
- 28.01.2012Teymur Rajabov wins in duel meet of Azerbaijani grand masters in Wijk-aan-Zee
- 08.11.2011Famous boxer Joe Frazier dies
- 08.10.2011Azerbaijani boxer became world champion
- 28.09.2011AIBA: “Amendment system is a standard experience in the international sport”
- 24.09.2011AIBA: “AIBA is not aware of any credible evidence to suggest that the allegation that WSB’s Chief Operating Officer, Mr Ivan Khodabakhsh, promised the award of two gold medals in return for payment is true”
- 06.09.2011Azerbaijani chess players win first games of World Cup’s 1/8-finals
- 29.06.2011I’m not finished, insists defeated Federer
- 29.06.2011Central court of Baku Tennis Academy opened
- 21.06.2011Nadal eases past journeyman Russell at Wimbledon
- 23.04.2011Nadal closes on 500th career victory
- 02.04.2011Nadal sets up Federer semi showdown; Sharapova reaches final
- 27.01.2011Ferrer ends Nadal’s bid for fourth consecutive grand slam title
- 02.11.2010Suleyman Mikayilov elected AIBA Executive Committee member - PHOTOSESSION
- 05.07.2010Chess champion Bobby Fischer’s body exhumed
- 27.03.2010Former world chess champion Smyslov dies at 89
- 05.01.2010Azerbaijani Men’s Chess Team wins over Armenia in a World Chess Cup
- 12.10.2009International chess tournament starts in Gandja
- 21.04.2009“Oscar” prize to be brought to Baku for the first time!
- 05.03.2009Azerbaijani chess player to compete in FIDE Grand Prix
- 15.09.2008Radjabov earns 40 thousand euro
- 06.09.2008Teimour Radjabov beaten by Magnus Carlsen in Grand Slam Masters
- 05.09.2008Teimour Radjabov scores no win in three games
- 02.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to face Veselin Topalov in Spanish super tournament
- 01.09.2008Elchin Zeynalov: Our canoe rower could have scored Beijing gold with results in World Cup
- 01.09.2008Teimour Radjabov to join super tournament in Spain
- 01.09.2008Mongolian judo wrestler gets $3m, 16 apartments, 9 cars and 5 kg gold
- 01.09.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov fails in Tal memorial blitz contest
- 01.09.2008Azeri player Ilaha Gadimova fails in world championship
- 29.08.2008Vassily Ivanchuk: I was lucky in game against Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
- 28.08.2008Azeri chess player Ilaha Kadimova to join world championship tomorrow
- 28.08.2008Shakhriyar Mamedyarov ranks 9th in Tal memorial
- 27.08.2008Agayar Akhundzade: Some figures wanted our failure in Beijing
- 27.08.2008Olympic medallist Fuad Aslanov explains low results in Azeri boxing with coach replacements
- 27.08.2008Niyameddin Pashayev expected Rashad to score Olympic medal
- 11.01.2014Famous Azerbaijani chess player dies
- 03.09.2014Baku 2015 European Games hosts fourth Coordination Commission as new headquarters are officially opened
- 22.10.2015Chess grandmaster Kasparov banned from FIDE for two years
- 15.07.2013Kemaleddin Heydarov elected as Vice-President of World Taekwondo Federation
- 14.02.2013Azerbaijan establishes Organizing Committee for holding World Chess Cup 2015 and World Chess Olympiad 2016
- 12.12.2012Azerbaijani boxer defeated Armenian sportsman in European Championship