WADA makes meldonium U-turn, could affect Sharapova ban
Baku-APA. Athletes who tested positive for meldonium before March 1 could have bans overturned less than four months before the Rio de Janeiro Olympics after WADA said it was unable to establish how quickly the drug, outlawed since Jan. 1, cleared the human body, AP reports quoting Reuters.
The World Anti-Doping Agency's notice to national anti-doping bodies is expected to have a major impact on many of the 172 athletes who have tested positive for the performance-boosting drug since January.
They include five-times grand slam tennis champion Maria Sharapova, who was among 40 Russian athletes to test positive for the drug after it was added to WADA's list of banned substances in January.
Sharapova's lawyer John Haggerty said on Wednesday that WADA handled the issue "poorly" and was now trying to make up for it.
WADA said there was a lack of clear scientific information on excretion times.
"As a result it is difficult to know whether an athlete may have taken the substance before or after January 1, when it became illegal," WADA said in a statement sent to anti-doping agencies and sports federations.
"In these circumstances, WADA considers that there may be grounds for no fault or negligence on the part of the athlete," it said, adding that the presence of less than one microgram of meldonium in the samples was acceptable.
As revealed by Reuters last month, the drug's Latvian manufacturer said traces could remain in the body for several months depending on doses, duration of treatment and sensitivity of testing methods
The anti-doping body's notice also gave hope to athletes who have tested positive for the drug since March 1, depending on studies being carried out to determine how long it stays in the body.
Related news releases
- 17.06.2018Azerbaijan's polo team qualifies for the World Cup final
- 19.04.2018Basketball: Galatasaray claim EuroCup women's title
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates $2 mln manats to Azerbaijan Volleyball Federation
- 03.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has decent place in world Olympic family - UPDATED
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan finished fourth at women’s EuroVolley
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan’s national volleyball team advances to European Championship semifinals
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan reaches quarterfinal of women’s EuroVolley after beating Germany 3-1
- 29.05.2017Bad Drive: Tiger Woods Arrested for DUI
- 09.05.2017Turkish sports club chief fined for slapping rival
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan simplifying visa procedure in connection with 2017 European Volleyball Championship
- 07.06.2014Maria Sharapova wins French Open
- 03.09.2013Federer crashes out to Robredo in US Open stunner
- 28.05.2013Li, Sharapova and Nadal all reach second round at French Open
- 18.05.2013Federer, Nadal reached semis in Rome
- 21.12.2012Azerbaijani President inaugurates administrative building of “Azeryol” volleyball team, volleyball court and “Azeryol” hotel
- 25.10.2012Li Na defeated by Serena Williams at WTA Championships
- 05.04.2012Head coach of national volleyball team Faig Garayev undergoes surgery
- 06.01.2012Injured Federer, beaten Nadal out of Qatar Open
- 07.12.2011Zenit through to Champions League knockout stages after 0-0 draw in Porto
- 18.10.2011President Ilham Aliyev receives members of Rabita volleyball team - winners of club world championships
- 18.10.2011Azerbaijani President signs order to award “Rabite” volleyball club
- 02.04.2011Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and his spouse Mehriban Aliyeva watch Challenge Cup final in Baku
- 09.01.2011Federer downs Davydenko to claim Qatar title
- 03.11.2010Russia Among the Undefeated in World Volleyball
- 09.10.2010Why soccer should fear the NBA
- 14.09.2010Turkey’s Historic Success At 2010 World Basketball Championship
- 23.02.2010Igor Ponomarev awarded with honorary diploma of President of Republic of Azerbaijan
- 14.02.20102 members of “Neftchi” football team dead and other 2 injured in car accident
- 16.03.2009Player of Azerbaijani national volleyball team chosen best libero of Europe
- 27.11.2008Azerbaijani national team defeats Italy in world championship qualifying
- 11.11.2008Fazil Mammadov leaves for US to participate in presidential elections
- 11.11.2008European Volleyball Confederation announced Azerbaijani club’s defeat
- 15.09.2008Azerbaijan’s national team reaches final of European Championship
- 02.09.2008Azerbaijan beats Russia’s Uralochka
- 28.08.2008Russian referees assigned to Azerbaijan – Greece match
- 25.08.2008Yelena Shabovta appointed Turkish club manager - PHOTO
- 13.08.2008Azerbaijan ends first prep stage for European championship
- 08.08.2008Azeri referee assigned for Fenerbahche match in Champions League
- 07.08.2008US basketball player proposed to get Azeri citizenship
- 04.08.2008Valeriya Korotenko and Oksana Guliyeva back in Fenerbache
- 08.06.2016Sharapova banned for two years by ITF
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan sets up organizing committee for holding Final Round of 2017 Women’s Eurovolley
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku European Games held at level of Summer Olympics - UPDATED
- 12.03.2016Sharapova denies rumors she received five warnings meldonium was taboo
- 08.03.2016Sharapova says she failed drug test; penalty unknown
- 10.06.2015Czech national hockey team's head coach Ruzicka resigns