Federer crashes out to Robredo in US Open stunner
Baku-APA. Roger Federer suffered a stunning upset in the fourth round of the US Open, the 17-time Grand Slam champion falling to Spanish 19th seedTommy Robredo 7-6 (7/3), 6-3, 6-4 in a last-16 match, APA reports quoting AFP.
Federer's failure, on the heels of a shock second-round Wimbledon exit, thwarted a potential quarter-final match with 12-time Grand Slam winner Rafael Nadal, in what would have been their first meeting on the New York hardcourts.
"If I'm playing like this, I'm not going to beat Rafa," five-time US Open champion Federer said on Monday.
Instead, it will be Robredo, in his first US Open quarter-final, awaiting the winner of a later match between Nadal, who is 6-0 against his countryman, and Germany's 22nd-seeded Philipp Kohlschreiber.
Robredo, who had lost his 10 prior matches against Federer, suffered seven prior fourth-round US Open defeats and matched his best Grand Slam performance by finally breaking through.
"To beat Roger, it's something amazing," Robredo said. "It's like a dream. I am so happy. It was a great day."
Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer reached his eighth consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final, hitting 13 aces among his 46 winners to defeat Serbian 18th seed Janko Tipsarevic 7-6 (7/2), 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7/3) in a rematch of a 2012 US Open quarter-final.
Ferrer will face the winner of a later match between French eighth seed Richard Gasquet and Canadian 10th seed Milos Raonic.
Related news releases
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates $2 mln manats to Azerbaijan Volleyball Federation
- 03.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has decent place in world Olympic family - UPDATED
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan finished fourth at women’s EuroVolley
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan’s national volleyball team advances to European Championship semifinals
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan reaches quarterfinal of women’s EuroVolley after beating Germany 3-1
- 29.05.2017Bad Drive: Tiger Woods Arrested for DUI
- 09.05.2017Turkish sports club chief fined for slapping rival
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan simplifying visa procedure in connection with 2017 European Volleyball Championship
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku European Games held at level of Summer Olympics - UPDATED
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan sets up organizing committee for holding Final Round of 2017 Women’s Eurovolley
- 08.06.2016Sharapova banned for two years by ITF
- 14.04.2016WADA makes meldonium U-turn, could affect Sharapova ban
- 12.03.2016Sharapova denies rumors she received five warnings meldonium was taboo
- 25.10.2012Li Na defeated by Serena Williams at WTA Championships
- 05.04.2012Head coach of national volleyball team Faig Garayev undergoes surgery
- 06.01.2012Injured Federer, beaten Nadal out of Qatar Open
- 07.12.2011Zenit through to Champions League knockout stages after 0-0 draw in Porto
- 18.10.2011President Ilham Aliyev receives members of Rabita volleyball team - winners of club world championships
- 18.10.2011Azerbaijani President signs order to award “Rabite” volleyball club
- 02.04.2011Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and his spouse Mehriban Aliyeva watch Challenge Cup final in Baku
- 09.01.2011Federer downs Davydenko to claim Qatar title
- 03.11.2010Russia Among the Undefeated in World Volleyball
- 09.10.2010Why soccer should fear the NBA
- 14.09.2010Turkey’s Historic Success At 2010 World Basketball Championship
- 23.02.2010Igor Ponomarev awarded with honorary diploma of President of Republic of Azerbaijan
- 14.02.20102 members of “Neftchi” football team dead and other 2 injured in car accident
- 16.03.2009Player of Azerbaijani national volleyball team chosen best libero of Europe
- 27.11.2008Azerbaijani national team defeats Italy in world championship qualifying
- 11.11.2008Fazil Mammadov leaves for US to participate in presidential elections
- 11.11.2008European Volleyball Confederation announced Azerbaijani club’s defeat
- 15.09.2008Azerbaijan’s national team reaches final of European Championship
- 02.09.2008Azerbaijan beats Russia’s Uralochka
- 28.08.2008Russian referees assigned to Azerbaijan – Greece match
- 25.08.2008Yelena Shabovta appointed Turkish club manager - PHOTO
- 13.08.2008Azerbaijan ends first prep stage for European championship
- 08.08.2008Azeri referee assigned for Fenerbahche match in Champions League
- 07.08.2008US basketball player proposed to get Azeri citizenship
- 04.08.2008Valeriya Korotenko and Oksana Guliyeva back in Fenerbache
- 02.08.2008Azerbaijan beaten by Germany in European championship
- 01.08.2008Azeri champion invited to Nations Cup
- 07.06.2014Maria Sharapova wins French Open
- 10.06.2015Czech national hockey team's head coach Ruzicka resigns
- 08.03.2016Sharapova says she failed drug test; penalty unknown
- 28.05.2013Li, Sharapova and Nadal all reach second round at French Open
- 18.05.2013Federer, Nadal reached semis in Rome
- 21.12.2012Azerbaijani President inaugurates administrative building of “Azeryol” volleyball team, volleyball court and “Azeryol” hotel