Bad Drive: Tiger Woods Arrested for DUI
Golf legend Tiger Woods has been arrested for driving under the influence, according to police reports, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
According to the Palm Beach County sheriff's office, Tiger Woods, one of the highest paid athletes of the past century, was taken into custody on Monday morning after a traffic stop revealed him to be intoxicated — whether from alcohol, pharmaceuticals, or a combination of both is not currently known.
Woods, one of the most successful golfers in the history of the sport, was stopped at around 3 a.m. local time in Florida, taken into custody at 7 a.m. and released on his own recognizance at 11 a.m., AP reports.
The celebrated golf pro was driving a 2015 Mercedes, which was picked up and driven from the scene by a Woods associate after police cancelled a call to a tow yard prior to his release.
Woods, a California native now living in the pricey Jupiter Island community in Florida in a 10,000 square-foot house originally built for him and his now-divorced wife, had back surgery last month and has been known to use various prescribed drugs, including Ambien, as reported by Tmz.com.
In 2009, Woods was involved in a high-profile divorce after he was injured in a minor car accident in his driveway during an altercation with his then-wife, Elin Nordegren, due to infidelities he publicly admitted to. The golfer acknowledged that doctor-prescribed pharmaceuticals were involved, and police did not make an arrest at the time. The glimpse into the golfer's personal life turned into a tabloid scandal as a parade of mistresses came forward to talk about their time with the golfer.
Just last week Woods stated on his web site that he intended to return to professional golf after his back surgery.
"It's just a matter of not screwing up and letting [the spinal cord] fuse," Woods wrote at the time. "I'm walking and doing my exercises, and taking my kids to and from school. All I can do is take it day by day. There's no hurry."
Related news releases
- 17.06.2018Azerbaijan's polo team qualifies for the World Cup final
- 19.04.2018Basketball: Galatasaray claim EuroCup women's title
- 03.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates $2 mln manats to Azerbaijan Volleyball Federation
- 03.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has decent place in world Olympic family - UPDATED
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan sets up organizing committee for holding Final Round of 2017 Women’s Eurovolley
- 08.06.2016Sharapova banned for two years by ITF
- 14.04.2016WADA makes meldonium U-turn, could affect Sharapova ban
- 12.03.2016Sharapova denies rumors she received five warnings meldonium was taboo
- 08.03.2016Sharapova says she failed drug test; penalty unknown
- 10.06.2015Czech national hockey team's head coach Ruzicka resigns
- 07.06.2014Maria Sharapova wins French Open
- 03.09.2013Federer crashes out to Robredo in US Open stunner
- 28.05.2013Li, Sharapova and Nadal all reach second round at French Open
- 18.05.2013Federer, Nadal reached semis in Rome
- 21.12.2012Azerbaijani President inaugurates administrative building of “Azeryol” volleyball team, volleyball court and “Azeryol” hotel
- 25.10.2012Li Na defeated by Serena Williams at WTA Championships
- 05.04.2012Head coach of national volleyball team Faig Garayev undergoes surgery
- 06.01.2012Injured Federer, beaten Nadal out of Qatar Open
- 07.12.2011Zenit through to Champions League knockout stages after 0-0 draw in Porto
- 18.10.2011President Ilham Aliyev receives members of Rabita volleyball team - winners of club world championships
- 18.10.2011Azerbaijani President signs order to award “Rabite” volleyball club
- 02.04.2011Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and his spouse Mehriban Aliyeva watch Challenge Cup final in Baku
- 09.01.2011Federer downs Davydenko to claim Qatar title
- 03.11.2010Russia Among the Undefeated in World Volleyball
- 09.10.2010Why soccer should fear the NBA
- 14.09.2010Turkey’s Historic Success At 2010 World Basketball Championship
- 23.02.2010Igor Ponomarev awarded with honorary diploma of President of Republic of Azerbaijan
- 14.02.20102 members of “Neftchi” football team dead and other 2 injured in car accident
- 16.03.2009Player of Azerbaijani national volleyball team chosen best libero of Europe
- 27.11.2008Azerbaijani national team defeats Italy in world championship qualifying
- 11.11.2008Fazil Mammadov leaves for US to participate in presidential elections
- 11.11.2008European Volleyball Confederation announced Azerbaijani club’s defeat
- 15.09.2008Azerbaijan’s national team reaches final of European Championship
- 02.09.2008Azerbaijan beats Russia’s Uralochka
- 28.08.2008Russian referees assigned to Azerbaijan – Greece match
- 25.08.2008Yelena Shabovta appointed Turkish club manager - PHOTO
- 13.08.2008Azerbaijan ends first prep stage for European championship
- 08.08.2008Azeri referee assigned for Fenerbahche match in Champions League
- 07.08.2008US basketball player proposed to get Azeri citizenship
- 04.08.2008Valeriya Korotenko and Oksana Guliyeva back in Fenerbache
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan reaches quarterfinal of women’s EuroVolley after beating Germany 3-1
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijan’s national volleyball team advances to European Championship semifinals
- 01.10.2017Azerbaijan finished fourth at women’s EuroVolley
- 09.05.2017Turkish sports club chief fined for slapping rival
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan simplifying visa procedure in connection with 2017 European Volleyball Championship
- 23.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku European Games held at level of Summer Olympics - UPDATED