Islamic Solidarity Games executives arrive in Baku
Baku – APA. With one year to go until the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games begin in Baku, senior executives from the Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation (ISSF) Coordination Commission have arrived in Azerbaijan's capital city today to evaluate preparations for the Games.
The Coordination Commission's delegates, chaired by Col. Hamad Kalkaba Malboum, attended a series of presentations delivered by the Azerbaijan Islamic Games Operations Committee (AISGOC). The seminar provided detailed updates on the event venues, sports programme, opening and closing ceremonies, and other organisational developments.
The ISSF delegates will also attend an official gala dinner to mark the One Year to Go milestone and will join the residents of Baku in beginning the countdown to the opening of the Games.
Col. Hamad Kalkaba Malboum, 1st Vice President of ISSF and the Chairman of the Coordination Commission, said:
"Azerbaijan is a country with a strong heritage in the sporting world and we are sure that as host of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games it will put on a world class event for athletes and spectators. We were delighted to be back in Baku and to hear about the significant and impressive progress made in preparations. We appreciate the team spirit of the Organising Committee and are looking forward to celebrating the one year to go milestone."
Azerbaijani Minister of Youth and Sports, CEO of AISGOC Azad Rahimov said:
"Hosting the Coordination Commission here in Baku once again has given us the opportunity to update them on the significant progress we have made since their last visit and receive their valuable input into our operational plans. Azerbaijan has a reputation of delivering big sporting events successfully and we are confident the Coordination Commission was impressed with our progress. We look forward to hosting the next Islamic Solidarity Games in our capital city in May next year."
The 4th Islamic Solidarity Games is an exciting multi-sport event uniting the Islamic world, which will take place in Baku from 12 – 22 May 2017.
Up to 5,000 athletes from Islamic states around the world will be representing their nations over 12 days of competition across 20 different sports which include 24 disciplines (Athletics and Para Athletics, Aquatics – Diving, Aquatics – Swimming, Aquatics – Water polo, Basketball 3x3, Football, Gymnastics – Artistic, Gymnastics – Rhythmic, Wushu, Table tennis, Handball, Judo and Blind Judo, Wrestling – Greco, Wrestling – Freestyle, Shooting, Tennis, Volleyball, Boxing, Zurkhaneh, Karate, Taekwondo and Weightlifting) in 16 modern competition venues in Baku.
Azerbaijan's capital city Baku was awarded the Games at the General Assembly of the Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation (ISSF) in Jeddah in July 2013.
Related news releases
- 02.12.2017Farid Gayibov elected as UEG president
- 17.09.2017Ganja Marathon-2017, organized at initiative of Heydar Aliyev Foundation kicks off - UPDATED
- 18.08.2017Ramil Guliyev: “I raised the flags of two countries” – INTERVIEW
- 15.08.2017World champion Ramil Guliyev: "Azerbaijan is always in our heart"
- 12.08.2015Chinese athletes rank first with 7 medals in World Cup competitions
- 11.08.2015Chinese athletes won 3rd gold medal within World Cup competitions held in Gabala
- 10.08.2015Italian coach: ISSF World Cup in Gabala has been organized at the highest level
- 10.08.2015World Cup competitions of pistol shooting at three distances kick off in Gabala
- 24.02.2015Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijani President: "Winning the World Cup is a great event""
- 01.05.2014150 sportsmen from 22 countries to compete in IFSC Climbing World Cup
- 22.04.2014Baku to host IFSC Climbing World Cup
- 13.01.2014Vugar Hashimov to be buried in 3rd Alley of Honor
- 31.07.20139 Turkish athletes banned for banned drug use
- 29.07.2013Participants of international bicycle tour started from Belgium arrive in Azerbaijan
- 24.07.2013Decision passed to hold Islamic Solidarity Games 2017 in Baku - PHOTO
- 10.07.2013Azad Rahimov: “Wrestling can not be excluded from Olympic games”
- 10.07.2013Azerbaijani weightlifter becomes champion of Universiade - PHOTOSESSION
- 11.05.2013Azerbaijan to host World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship 2019
- 19.04.2013Foundation stone for Water Sports Palace laid in Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2012Azerbaijani President issues order on construction of Palace of Water Sports in Baku
- 11.10.2011What did the World Boxing Championship in Baku make clear? – ANALYSIS
- 15.07.2011Azerbaijani President receives President of International Weightlifting Federation
- 09.03.2011Azerbaijani President meets with president of International Canoe Federation
- 23.02.2011British Embassy Azerbaijan will mark 500 days to until the London Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2012
- 11.02.2011President of Azerbaijan meets with head of International Skating Union
- 25.12.2010Mehriban Aliyeva re-elected president of Azerbaijan Gymnastics Federation
- 24.09.2010Athletes arrive for Games, but future in doubt
- 12.09.2010Klitschko defends boxing titles in rematch with Nigerian Nightmare
- 13.07.2010Azerbaijan to host World Boxing Championship next year
- 25.05.2010Azeri fencers claim 3 medals at international Baku tournament
- 21.05.2010Azerbaijani bodybuilder ranks fourth in European Championship
- 28.12.200960,000-seat stadium to be built in Azerbaijan’s capital
- 09.09.2009Azerbaijan’s flag raised in Armenia
- 04.09.2009Beijing Olympic gold medalist Elnur Mammadli appointed senior traffic patrol inspector
- 26.08.2009Ground-breaking ceremony of Gymnastics Complex takes place in Baku
- 21.08.2009New base under construction for Azerbaijani Air and Extreme Sports Federation near Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 21.08.2009Africa excursion of Azerbaijan Air and Extreme Sports Federation costs AZN 25,000
- 17.08.2009Azerbaijan Air and Extreme Sports Federation leaves for Uhuru peak, Africa
- 09.05.2009Climbing to Heydar Peak of the Great Caucasian Mountains starts
- 04.03.2009Azad Rahimov: “Coaches are unskilled”
- 28.10.2016Azerbaijan to create National Anti-Doping Agency
- 07.05.2017Synergy Baku`s Pozdnyakov defends leader`s jersey at Tour d'Azerbaidjan ahead of final
- 09.05.2017Mehriban Aliyeva conferred with highest award of International Gym Federation
- 24.12.2015Azerbaijan’s first lady re-elected as president of Gymnastics Federation
- 15.08.2015World Cup winner: I'm returning to Serbia with joy of win
- 14.08.2015Serbian athlete wins gold medal in World Cup competitions held in Gabala