World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
The ongoing conflicts around the world hinder mankind from achieving the development of children and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), Afshan Khan, the UNICEF Regional Director for Europe and Central Asia (ECA), told reporters in Baku on Monday, APA reports.
Speaking about the Syrian crisis, the UNICEF official said that before the war, some 97 percent of children in this country were receiving primary education.
“Five million people left Syria in the wake of the conflict which is a major obstacle to children’s access to education. Anyway, we need to intensify efforts to resolve conflicts and stop wars, and also to achieve progress in matters of internal development,” she said.
Ms. Afshan Khan also referred to an increase in the number of migrants in recent years.
Over the past 2-3 years, more than a million people migrated to Europe, according to the UNICEF regional director.
She noted that Azerbaijan is located at the intersection of the trade route between Asia and Europe.
“I would like to mention the hospitality of the Azerbaijani people and the climate of the country. People can come to this country from different countries, including the Caribbean. In this respect, Azerbaijan has great experience and opportunities,” added the UNICEF official.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Presidential scholarship for students increased
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on development of education infrastructure
- 24.02.2018Baku awaits cloudy weather on Sunday
- 24.02.2018Model United States Senate organized in Baku
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year