World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
The ongoing conflicts around the world hinder mankind from achieving the development of children and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), Afshan Khan, the UNICEF Regional Director for Europe and Central Asia (ECA), told reporters in Baku on Monday, APA reports.
Speaking about the Syrian crisis, the UNICEF official said that before the war, some 97 percent of children in this country were receiving primary education.
“Five million people left Syria in the wake of the conflict which is a major obstacle to children’s access to education. Anyway, we need to intensify efforts to resolve conflicts and stop wars, and also to achieve progress in matters of internal development,” she said.
Ms. Afshan Khan also referred to an increase in the number of migrants in recent years.
Over the past 2-3 years, more than a million people migrated to Europe, according to the UNICEF regional director.
She noted that Azerbaijan is located at the intersection of the trade route between Asia and Europe.
“I would like to mention the hospitality of the Azerbaijani people and the climate of the country. People can come to this country from different countries, including the Caribbean. In this respect, Azerbaijan has great experience and opportunities,” added the UNICEF official.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018An event held dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Council on State Support to NGOs
- 22.06.2018Translation of US historian Frederick Starr’s book into Azerbaijani presented
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year