Witnesses testify in trial of former Azerbaijani health minister
A preliminary hearing was held on Wednesday on the criminal case of former Azerbaijani health minister Ali Insanov, who is under arrest.
A public prosecutor read out the indictment at the hearing, APA reported.
According to the indictment, Insanov purchased and stored psychotropic substances in the jail. During the inspection, these substances were found and seized. While Anar Mammadov, an employee of the Penitentiary Service was drawing up a protocol in this regard, Insanov attacked him, tore his shoulder straps and pushed him. Mammadov fell down and hurt his head.
Insanov rejected all the accusations, noting that they are groundless.
Victim Anar Mammadov testified at the hearing and agreed with what was written in the indictment.
The hearing will continue on April 19.
A new criminal case was initiated against the former minister this year. He faces charged under articles 234.1 (illegal purchase or storage without a purpose of selling of narcotics or psychotropic substances in a quantity (amount) exceeding necessary for personal consumption), 315.2 (application of violence, resistance with application of violence concerning the representative of authority in connection with performance of official duties by him or application of the violence not dangerous to life or health concerning his close relatives, as well as threat of application of such violence, application of the violence dangerous to life or health, concerning persons specified in this article) and 317-2.1 (threat on application of violence concerning employees of criminal - executive establishments or investigator isolators, and also concerning condemned with a purpose to prevent his correction or from revenge for execution of public duties by him).
Insanov detained in October, 2005 was convicted of a number of serious criminal offences, including embezzlement of public funds and arranging for unlawful privatization of State-owned property assets, and sentenced in April 2007 to 11 years’ imprisonment, with confiscation of property and a three-year ban on holding public office. His prison term is to expire in a few months.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Honorary titles conferred on MES employees
- 15.12.2017Court denies Mehman Huseynov’s appeal
- 15.12.2017Trial continues in case of Giyas Ibrahimov and his father
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Election Code
- 15.12.2017Director of Azerbaijani TV channel jailed for 6 years
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views overhauled Ludwigshafen Park in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views "Kimyachi" Culture Palace in Sumgayit after major overhaul
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Important steps being taken in Azerbaijan to attract youth to science
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 12.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 13.04.2017APFP member arrested over FETO links standing trial
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 12.04.2017Belarus studies Azerbaijan's experience in providing security during European Games
- 12.04.2017Demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky temporarily halted
- 12.04.2017‘European Days’ to be held in Azerbaijan’s Lankaran