Witnesses testify in trial of former Azerbaijani health minister
A preliminary hearing was held on Wednesday on the criminal case of former Azerbaijani health minister Ali Insanov, who is under arrest.
A public prosecutor read out the indictment at the hearing, APA reported.
According to the indictment, Insanov purchased and stored psychotropic substances in the jail. During the inspection, these substances were found and seized. While Anar Mammadov, an employee of the Penitentiary Service was drawing up a protocol in this regard, Insanov attacked him, tore his shoulder straps and pushed him. Mammadov fell down and hurt his head.
Insanov rejected all the accusations, noting that they are groundless.
Victim Anar Mammadov testified at the hearing and agreed with what was written in the indictment.
The hearing will continue on April 19.
A new criminal case was initiated against the former minister this year. He faces charged under articles 234.1 (illegal purchase or storage without a purpose of selling of narcotics or psychotropic substances in a quantity (amount) exceeding necessary for personal consumption), 315.2 (application of violence, resistance with application of violence concerning the representative of authority in connection with performance of official duties by him or application of the violence not dangerous to life or health concerning his close relatives, as well as threat of application of such violence, application of the violence dangerous to life or health, concerning persons specified in this article) and 317-2.1 (threat on application of violence concerning employees of criminal - executive establishments or investigator isolators, and also concerning condemned with a purpose to prevent his correction or from revenge for execution of public duties by him).
Insanov detained in October, 2005 was convicted of a number of serious criminal offences, including embezzlement of public funds and arranging for unlawful privatization of State-owned property assets, and sentenced in April 2007 to 11 years’ imprisonment, with confiscation of property and a three-year ban on holding public office. His prison term is to expire in a few months.
Related news releases
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 28.07.2017State Examination Center addresses applicants who took entrance exam on July 27
- 28.07.2017The number of people released from arrest has increased by 28% over the past year in Azerbaijan
- 27.07.201783 people killed, 159 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.07.2017Lapshin appeals to Azerbaijani Justice Ministry for his extradition to Israel
- 27.07.2017Temperature in Baku to reach 34-39C in late July
- 27.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov, Beytulla Huseynov each get 13 years in prison - UPDATED
- 27.07.2017Applicants evacuated due to fire retake entrance exams
- 26.07.2017Justice Ministry: Lapshin’s request for his extradition to Israel may be considered
- 26.07.2017Alexander Lapshin refuses to file appeal, asks to be extradited to Israel
- 26.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted for evading investigation - UPDATED
- 12.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 13.04.2017APFP member arrested over FETO links standing trial
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 12.04.2017Belarus studies Azerbaijan's experience in providing security during European Games
- 12.04.2017Demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky temporarily halted
- 12.04.2017‘European Days’ to be held in Azerbaijan’s Lankaran