Witnesses testify in trial of former Azerbaijani health minister
A preliminary hearing was held on Wednesday on the criminal case of former Azerbaijani health minister Ali Insanov, who is under arrest.
A public prosecutor read out the indictment at the hearing, APA reported.
According to the indictment, Insanov purchased and stored psychotropic substances in the jail. During the inspection, these substances were found and seized. While Anar Mammadov, an employee of the Penitentiary Service was drawing up a protocol in this regard, Insanov attacked him, tore his shoulder straps and pushed him. Mammadov fell down and hurt his head.
Insanov rejected all the accusations, noting that they are groundless.
Victim Anar Mammadov testified at the hearing and agreed with what was written in the indictment.
The hearing will continue on April 19.
A new criminal case was initiated against the former minister this year. He faces charged under articles 234.1 (illegal purchase or storage without a purpose of selling of narcotics or psychotropic substances in a quantity (amount) exceeding necessary for personal consumption), 315.2 (application of violence, resistance with application of violence concerning the representative of authority in connection with performance of official duties by him or application of the violence not dangerous to life or health concerning his close relatives, as well as threat of application of such violence, application of the violence dangerous to life or health, concerning persons specified in this article) and 317-2.1 (threat on application of violence concerning employees of criminal - executive establishments or investigator isolators, and also concerning condemned with a purpose to prevent his correction or from revenge for execution of public duties by him).
Insanov detained in October, 2005 was convicted of a number of serious criminal offences, including embezzlement of public funds and arranging for unlawful privatization of State-owned property assets, and sentenced in April 2007 to 11 years’ imprisonment, with confiscation of property and a three-year ban on holding public office. His prison term is to expire in a few months.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Facebook hits two billion users
- 26.06.2017Baku’s central streets to reopen for full public use this evening as F-1 race comes to a close
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 12.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 13.04.2017APFP member arrested over FETO links standing trial
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 12.04.2017Belarus studies Azerbaijan's experience in providing security during European Games
- 12.04.2017Demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky temporarily halted
- 12.04.2017‘European Days’ to be held in Azerbaijan’s Lankaran