Witnesses testify in trial of former Azerbaijani health minister
A preliminary hearing was held on Wednesday on the criminal case of former Azerbaijani health minister Ali Insanov, who is under arrest.
A public prosecutor read out the indictment at the hearing, APA reported.
According to the indictment, Insanov purchased and stored psychotropic substances in the jail. During the inspection, these substances were found and seized. While Anar Mammadov, an employee of the Penitentiary Service was drawing up a protocol in this regard, Insanov attacked him, tore his shoulder straps and pushed him. Mammadov fell down and hurt his head.
Insanov rejected all the accusations, noting that they are groundless.
Victim Anar Mammadov testified at the hearing and agreed with what was written in the indictment.
The hearing will continue on April 19.
A new criminal case was initiated against the former minister this year. He faces charged under articles 234.1 (illegal purchase or storage without a purpose of selling of narcotics or psychotropic substances in a quantity (amount) exceeding necessary for personal consumption), 315.2 (application of violence, resistance with application of violence concerning the representative of authority in connection with performance of official duties by him or application of the violence not dangerous to life or health concerning his close relatives, as well as threat of application of such violence, application of the violence dangerous to life or health, concerning persons specified in this article) and 317-2.1 (threat on application of violence concerning employees of criminal - executive establishments or investigator isolators, and also concerning condemned with a purpose to prevent his correction or from revenge for execution of public duties by him).
Insanov detained in October, 2005 was convicted of a number of serious criminal offences, including embezzlement of public funds and arranging for unlawful privatization of State-owned property assets, and sentenced in April 2007 to 11 years’ imprisonment, with confiscation of property and a three-year ban on holding public office. His prison term is to expire in a few months.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds first university entrance exams
- 30.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams today
- 29.04.2017Trials proceeds for ex-officials of Azerbaijan’s liquidated ministry of security
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani court sentences Russian citizen of Armenian origin to 8 years in prison
- 28.04.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Gobustan
- 28.04.2017May weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission rejects allegations of pardon for a person who wasn’t listed
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams on April 30
- 27.04.2017MP: Some cafes and restaurants in Azerbaijan offer hookahs containing drugs
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan's former health minister gets 7 years and 5 days in prison - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017New prosecutor of Baku appointed
- 25.04.2017Victim testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani MP: People are unsure what currency to choose to save their money
- 25.04.2017Baku city prosecutor Aziz Seyidov elected judge of Supreme Court
- 25.04.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on case of APFP member arrested over FETO links
- 25.04.2017Starvation looms for 20 million, UN agricultural advisory group told at opening session
- 24.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders payment of allowances to World War II participants
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in April battles provided with artificial limbs on initiative of First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 24.04.2017About 7 million people in Azerbaijan at risk of contracting malaria – ministry
- 21.04.2017EU, Azerbaijani SEC hold joint seminar
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to ban ads of potential harm to children
- 21.04.2017Canadian doctors discover first antibiotic in 30 years
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan declares two non-working days in May
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast: Strong winds expected in coming days
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3 mln to Youth Foundation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan: 62 killed, 212 injured in emergencies since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan issues licenses to 14 companies delivering television programming over Internet
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates participants of 1st Int’l Forum of Caucasus Studies Scholars
- 17.04.2017New deputy health minister appointed in Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan
- 15.04.2017President Aliyev gives instruction to stop construction of residential building in Yasamal district
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijan to start diagnostic evaluation of teachers in several districts from tomorrow
- 14.04.2017Over 1,400 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s administrative legislation in March
- 12.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 13.04.2017APFP member arrested over FETO links standing trial
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 12.04.2017Belarus studies Azerbaijan's experience in providing security during European Games
- 12.04.2017Demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky temporarily halted
- 12.04.2017‘European Days’ to be held in Azerbaijan’s Lankaran